Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mango and Purple heart walking cane - Work in progress

So the solution I decided to go with is to use a ⅜ inch threaded steel rod. It is a 2 inch piece inserted half into the handle and half into the shaft and epoxied in. With the suggestion of a helpful person at the hardware store I used a tap to thread the wood which made assembly much easier. I currently have the threaded rods inserted into the handle and epoxied. So at least I know the rod will never break and 1 inch of it sticking in to each side should be strong enough I would hope (unless there was catastrophic wood failure.) Now my only fear is that if the two sides don't thread together well I will end up with pieces that have an angled gap when screwed together. I am not sure what I will do if there is any sizable gap. I suppose either find some soft plastic that could act as a washer that will squeeze into gaps when screwed tight (nylon washer?) or just fill it with epoxy.

I think maybe next time I would go down to a 5/16ths threaded rod as this will leave more wood for strength and still be plenty strong, and probably make the rod a total length of 2.5 or 3 inches.

2. Try this...replace the dowel with ready rod and use epoxy to join the pieces.
    Worked great for me twice so far

3. Never mind

Ok, they seem to be holding up fine now. I have sanded them smooth and am on my second coat of danish oil. I am debating whether or not to put on either a wipe on poly or a coat of tru-oil. I know poly will stick as I use that combo a lot but I really like the finish try-oil gives, I just don't know if it will want to stick over danish oil. I will give a call to birch wood-casey in the morning.
    Pictures when they are done!

Ok, I finished the canes, so far I just did danish oil and I think I will leave it at that for now. The picture showing the head only is a mango handle with a thin layer of some curly koa wood.
    Here are the pictures and thanks for the help.
    Oh and BTW can anyone help me change the title? I don't see the edit button option on my posts...

IMGP0842.jpgIMGP0840.jpgIMGP0843.jpg

How do I change the title of the thread to say that it is completed?

Nice Cane - Glad you found a solution.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 02-16-2014 at 11:15 AM.