Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with new Laguna 14/12 bandsaw?

Any experience with new Laguna 14/12 bandsaw?

In the market for my first bandsaw and have been doing a lot of research. This is for a small garage shop (9’x18’) and no access to a 220 line. So, I’m looking for the best quality 14” saw that will run on 110v. This will be for general use – curves, ripping thick stock and re-sawing so I anticipate the need to change blades frequently.

I can get the Rikon 10-325 for $855 locally including tax, but have read many negative comments about their guides making blade changes a pain. I know I can upgrade to Carter guides which would add $200 to the total cost ($1055).

Despite all of the negative customer service posts, I’m looking at Laguna's new saw the model 14/12, but I haven’t been able to find any reviews or comments on it. The saw is $1095 + $49 shipping from woodwerks.com. So for $89 more, I get a saw with Laguna guides, an excellent fence and better fit & finish than the Rikon (from what I’ve read). The Laguna has a 1.75 HP motor vs. the Rikon’s 1.5 HP, but the Laguna only has re-saw capacity of 12” vs 13” for the Rikon. As I’ve never owned a bandsaw, not sure if that extra inch will be missed.

Any advice or feedback on the Laguna would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Lester Sak; 09-17-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Lester,

the laguna is hands down as you assumed, the better saw- i have used the rikon and other Laguna saws with the laguna guides and they work fantastic. Based on specs, videos- this Laguna is impressive in the price range and is my choice - Laguna is doing a great job on designing their Asian bandsaws.

Also,

if you are worried about customer service, I wouldn't be - as you have stated, order through a reseller- Woodwerks, Rockler, or Woodcraft who deal directly with their wholesale division higher up in Laguna's food chain - if their is a problem the reseller will have a better relationship with Laguna than your self.

Thanks for your feedback Mike.

I still do have some reservations about CS. I emailed Woodwerks early today requesting an owners manual for the Laguna and received a prompt response that only included a link to the sales brochure and a link to where I could buy it. I emailed back that I wanted to see the owners manual regarding machine setup, etc. but haven't received an answer yet. I sent the same request to Laguna but no response.

Any opinion as to how valuable the extra inch re-saw capability of the Rikon is over the Laguna?

Probably not that big of a deal.. I've extended my bandsaw's resaw capacity by removing the guide completely, and I just C clamped the thrust bearing onto the back of the blade. Not an ideal situation but the thrust bearing is necessary to make sure the blade doesn't move too far back from cutting force... It's not an ideal situation for sure but it does extend the resaw capacity by a good 2". The saw's original capacity was around 11" (28cm)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    Probably not that big of a deal.. I've extended my bandsaw's resaw capacity by removing the guide completely, and I just C clamped the thrust bearing onto the back of the blade. Not an ideal situation but the thrust bearing is necessary to make sure the blade doesn't move too far back from cutting force... It's not an ideal situation for sure but it does extend the resaw capacity by a good 2". The saw's original capacity was around 11" (28cm)
    Thanks Tai, I don't think it's that big of a deal either but wanted to ask those who have 12" capacity if they felt they needed more. What saw do you have?

I still haven't heard back from either Woodwerks or Laguna so I'll try calling today. Would really like to see the manual before I make a decision.

Still would like to hear from anyone that has this same Laguna model 14/12.

I have a 18" bandsaw, unknown manufacturer, made in Taiwan. Came with a crappy fence so I retrofitted it with the Grizzly resaw fence for 18" bandsaws (which Grizzly strangely absolutely refuses to sell to Taiwan, like there's an embargo or something, so I had to get a friend to smuggle it here). That turned a lemon into a lemonade for sure.

I normally would never need to resaw 12" or more, because the only thing I will ever resaw is guitar wood and I haven't really found anything worthy of that at the moment. However I was actually resawing a piece of 3/4" baltic birch ply because that is the only thickness I could get it in and I needed 1/2" baltic birch. So I basically resawn the plywood into a thinner piece.

Lester,Keep in mind this Laguna saw has only been on the market for weeks not months, thus its not surprising that the web or dealers havent received digital copies of the manual. Second, I wouldn't bank on the manual being all pretty and useful - it's just not what the company is known for.

My advice on band saws is usually the same: resawing wide boards is not fun and the capacity is over-rated. Ripping stock to 6" or less, resawing, then jointing is a less stressful, more forgiving way to go about making thin boards.

For straight cuts, tenons, ripping and resawing, the wider the blade the saw can take, the better. Wide blades cut straighter and they don't lead as much as they dull nor do they bow inside cuts as readily as narrower blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Sak View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Mike.

I still do have some reservations about CS. I emailed Woodwerks early today requesting an owners manual for the Laguna and received a prompt response that only included a link to the sales brochure and a link to where I could buy it. I emailed back that I wanted to see the owners manual regarding machine setup, etc. but haven't received an answer yet. I sent the same request to Laguna but no response.

Any opinion as to how valuable the extra inch re-saw capability of the Rikon is over the Laguna?
    Lester, this link should get you to the manual

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/1412-Bandsaw_2#

Click on the "Manuals" link on the right (right next to the "videos" link) and you will be able to donwload it. It's 68 pages long. I am too following this bandsaw closely. Hopefully people here who know much more about bandsaws can chime in about the specs and an educated assessment given than probably nobody has yet been able make a hands-on review.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    My advice on band saws is usually the same: resawing wide boards is not fun and the capacity is over-rated. Ripping stock to 6" or less, resawing, then jointing is a less stressful, more forgiving way to go about making thin boards.
    Thanks Loren, that's exactly what I thought.

Thanks Augusto, I totally missed that.

I was about to let everyone know that Nick from Woodwerks got back to me and sent me the PDF. Looks really good. Planning on making a decision in a few weeks so any additional info anyone can provide would be great.

Keep us posted! I am seriously considering buying it, too. Bear in mind, though, that the bandsaw "as shown" in the advertisement comes with the optional mobility kit (+$149) and the optional light (+$99). That's not factored in the $1095 base price (I checked with Woodwerks earlier today).

Even so, it still looks like a good balance between quality and price. My main hesitation right now is that I had my heart set on a bandsaw with a footbrake, but to get that feature in a Laguna quality machine would place it well beyond my budget.

Augusto,

I knew about the options, but will improvise if I get it by either making my own mobile base, or buying a universal one.
    I really wanted a footbrake too, but seemed to only be on machines too large (i.e., 220v) for my shop.

When are you planning on getting it if you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Sak View Post
    Augusto,

I knew about the options, but will improvise if I get it by either making my own mobile base, or buying a universal one.
    I really wanted a footbrake too, but seemed to only be on machines too large (i.e., 220v) for my shop.

When are you planning on getting it if you do?
    I do have 220v. available in my shop but after a lot of saving, my budget tops at $1500 and not a penny more (everything included, mobility base, breakers, cord, delivery, taxes, etc.). I plan on getting a bansaw within the next 30 days, since I need it for a project I am working on. I want 12 resaw or larger, every other feature I could live without; although giving up the brake option would not be easy.