Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any experience with new Laguna 14/12 bandsaw?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I guess it's a YMMV thing. I didn't find it difficult at all to adjust my Rikon 10-325 for zero drift. I centered the blade on the top wheel which by happy circumstance also centered the blade on the bottom wheel. Set the fence square to the table and that was about it. A good quality blade - from somebody like Lenox, Starrett or equivalent - goes without saying.
    I guess it's a matter of preference. Whenever you change a blade you can either adjust the fence or adjust the blade tracking for 0 drift. It seems to me that adjusting the fence is the simpler and quicker of the two, but I may change my mind on that after living with it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Keathley View Post
    I guess it's a matter of preference. Whenever you change a blade you can either adjust the fence or adjust the blade tracking for 0 drift. It seems to me that adjusting the fence is the simpler and quicker of the two, but I may change my mind on that after living with it for a while.
    Very true. In Jill's case, it may very well make better sense to adjust the fence. Maybe I just got a 'golden' saw. When I switch blades I just center the tracking on top which also centers the bottom, tension and go. My fence may take a little tweaking when using a tall fence. I typically just tilt the table 'til the fence is parallel to the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Keathley View Post
    Jill,

Honest question from a bandsaw newbie... Why is zero drift so important? I realize it is possible, but very difficult to achieve. It's very simple and accurate to adjust the fence for drift.

Zero drift is important for me because I can turn a 3/4 inch wide piece of cherry into 4 shaker baskets instead of three. It makes me an extra $25-$50 dollars on the same piece of wood.

I also have about two months of usage on the 14/12 and so far I am LOVING this bandsaw.

Hi Folks,
    I have one of these saws on order and I'm expecting to be able to bring it home soon. Can anyone who has one of these give me an idea of how large the crate or box it comes in is and on which side of the box they would transport it or if it needs to be transported vertically?

Thanks Much!
    Last edited by Mark Norfleet; 07-15-2014 at 1:11 PM.

Lester, I have had my Laguna 1412 now for about two months. At first I was so PO'd because it would not re-saw even a piece of 1x8 pine. I was ready to make the 250 mile drive back to Woodcraft in Montgomery Al to return it. I called Laguna, they were VERY CONCERNED. After a LONG two weeks with Laguna, on the phone, numerious photo's. It was finally determined that the blade was the problem, not operator induced (bad blade stock). I paid big bucks for the blade at the time of purchase, yes I knew about The Timber Wolf,but I wanted to "get started" on some re-sawing ASAP on some Oak for a project. Laguna was overly nice in "fixing the problem" called me everyday until the problem was fixed,sent me TWO of the 3/4,and 1/2 " re-saw blades. Yep I would say I would do it again. BTW , my Wife and I put it together, did have a neighbor help me lift it up, to heavy for just the two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norfleet View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I have one of these saws on order and I'm expecting to be able to bring it home soon. Can anyone who has one of these give me an idea of how large the crate or box it comes in is and on which side of the box they would transport it or if it needs to be transported vertically?

Thanks Much!
    I don't recall the exact sizes, but the bench is broken down so it's not enormous. Laguna's website lists the shipping dimensions as 56"x23"x23" which sounds about right to me (and the gross weight is 312lbs)

It doesn't have to be transported vertically; it is fully enclosed in a cardboard box with styrofoam blocks and can safely rest on either side. The truck dropped it into my garage (the box was resting horizontally on top of a wooden pallet) and I unpacked it myself right there before taking the parts down to the basement. There are a few parts to assemble, but only the largest (the main body) is heavy enough that it required two people to bring it down the stairs. The next heaviest part is the cast iron table, but I brought that down myself no problem (although I am decent shape I am no bodybuilder for sure).

The assembly went by easily in my case. Again, I only needed an extra hand to attach the main body to the base. Everything else could be done by one person.

I love my Laguna; I use mostly hand-tools, but this one and my DW735 are the only two power tools I don't want to give up. Hope you enjoy yours. Good luck!

Thanks Much Augusto!
    Stupidly, I never thought to look at the Laguna website for that information, just Woodcraft's... It will fit in my vehicle for the trip home just fine. I'm big and experienced enough that I ought to be able to get it into my true walk-out basement and and set up alone with a little assistance from my engine hoist. It too will be one of my very few wood working power tools. Metal working tools are a different story...

i got mine in my Rav4 with no issues. woodcraft near me had a lift and the two guys helped me get in the car in enough time before the snow started to fly. at home i unloaded it myself using gravity unto a harbor freight four wheel furniture roller. that was so i could roll it to the back of the garage until late spring when the weather would be decent to put it together. i was able to assemble and right all alone. this time i used lumber to lift up main body off floor until height was correct to install the mobile base that I had bought. righting it upright was easy alone as well. a second person might help a bit but gravity works well too. it will take a bit to get it moving but again not that hard and i am not a body builder either. you just need to move correctly. they say table is best install with two people but i got the bolts aligned before moving it and got it in place in one move.

all in all much easier than moving my workbench top out of the car and then onto the base after was done making it.

Thanks Much Jay! It seems as though I'll have no trouble at all moving it in my Honda Element then. I probably will not even have to take the rear seats out. I planned carefully and my basement/shop door is at ground level so getting it in with a simple hand truck should be easy. As long as I'm smart about it..., and gravity is working well here on the day I move it, all should go well as it will be one of the lighter machines I've moved and set up recently. Thanks Again!

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.
    I have had one of the 14/12's since July and have only had one problem with it and it is not a big problem for me.

First let me say this: before you even set up your saw, watch the You Tube video by the service guy from Carter bandsaw guides. It is a real eye opener about bandsaw set up and drift/blade tracking. When I set mine I had a little trouble with getting the drift corrected. It was solved by setting the blade tracking correctly. I'm sure I will get some argument here but daddy always told me don't try to fix something that works. When you set the saw up, take the table off so you can get to the upper and lower guides. It makes it SO MUCH easier. Before you set your guides get the blade tracking right. And by right I mean you want the teeth of the blade to track dead center on the high point of the upper wheel. once you've accomplished that, you will have absolutely NO problem with drift. You will argue with me on this but no bandsaw that is set up correctly will have drift. After you have the tracking set then you can set the guides and with the table off it's a breeze to get it perfect. Put the table back on, level (square it to the blade) then set your fence square to the table and you're done. I have resawed everything from yellow pine to lacewood and checked it with vernier calipers and it is dead on across 6 inches wide form side to side end to end. It helps a lot if you use those stacking feather guides from Rockler. I also neglected to mention that I use the resaw king carbide blade. When you feed steady and don't get in a hurry, it will almost leave a glass smooth finish.
    I'm just thankful it held.

Has anyone had experience on replacing belts (tire) on Laguna 14 inch band saw?