Thread: question about building this bed

Question question about building this bed

hi this is my first post in this forum:
    can anyone tell me how the top(idk if it has a specific name) of this bed is built bent like that? and is it mdf?
    and what are those silver lines made of?

AE-709 King Single bed_1.jpg

+ pardon my English it's not my first language
    (if my question is not clear i can explain more)

thanks
    Last edited by moh dana; 09-17-2013 at 2:49 PM.

the silver lines are either light-colour wood or maybe paint

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    the silver lines are either light-colour wood or maybe paint
    thanx
    it seems like a metalic material though? doesn't it?

moh, the strips could be metal or plastic. It looks like it may be a commercially made bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    moh, the strips could be metal or plastic. It looks like it may be a commercially made bed.
    isn't it possible to kerf it or somthing?

Moh, I'm not an expert in furniture building (by any stretch of the imagination) but my first thoughts are that the headboard can fairly easily be made using "bendable" plywood, bent over a curved frame. For that headboard I can envision 7 or 8 internal plywood panels cut with the shape of the curve in the headboard. These panels are attached in a frame, which I will refer to as a "web". (I think old airplane wings were built this way). Then the "bendable" plywood is attached to the web. I've not worked with bendable plywood personally but quick Google search showed quite a few suppliers. Hopefully you can find one near you.

You might be able to kerf plywood to bend like that but it's so large a panel I think it will be hard to do and get a smooth curve. Also, the back of the headboard needs to bend in the same direction but has the face out that you would need to kerf.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Moh, I'm not an expert in furniture building (by any stretch of the imagination) but my first thoughts are that the headboard can fairly easily be made using "bendable" plywood, bent over a curved frame. For that headboard I can envision 7 or 8 internal plywood panels cut with the shape of the curve in the headboard. These panels are attached in a frame, which I will refer to as a "web". (I think old airplane wings were built this way). Then the "bendable" plywood is attached to the web. I've not worked with bendable plywood personally but quick Google search showed quite a few suppliers. Hopefully you can find one near you.

You might be able to kerf plywood to bend like that but it's so large a panel I think it will be hard to do and get a smooth curve. Also, the back of the headboard needs to bend in the same direction but has the face out that you would need to kerf.
    you mean something like this with bendable plywood on it?
    11425-good-way-build-many-cheap-prototypes-post-tensioned-wing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by moh dana View Post
    can anyone tell me how the top(idk if it has a specific name) of this bed is built bent like that? and is it mdf?
    From what I've seen of that kind of stuff is is probably either veneer or high-pressure laminate over some sort of cheap substrate - most likely particle board or cheap plywood.

If I were going to build it I would probably built a wooden frame and skin it with birch plywood. You can cut kerfs into the back side of the plywood to make it easy to bend. That's how I did this piece. Sorry the photo is not very good.

curve.jpg

and what are those silver lines made of?
    Usually that stuff is plastic molding with a metallic finish. Sometimes, if it is flat, it is thin metal.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

you mean something like this with bendable plywood on it?
    11425-good-way-build-many-cheap-prototypes-post-tensioned-wing.jpg
    Yes something very much like that with a board attached at each end of the panels tying it together into 1 solid structure.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Most likely those "silver lines" are light reflecting off curves of the molded woodwork.