Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Mobile base for unisaw

Jason,

My only concern about your base is that it raises the saw much higher than the HTC bases. My modified HTC base is designed so that the saw is only 1 1/2 inches higher on the base than it would be sitting on the floor. If you are a tall guy, then this is probably better for you. I'm 5' 8" and my 1980's Unisaw is about the right height without any mobil base. The last thing that I wanted to do was raise it 3-4" with a base like yours. It even took me a while to get used to my Unisaw after I raised it only 1 1/2" with the HTC base.

Charley

IMGP6530.jpg

Mine is home made too, though not quite as pretty as Jason's

I spent the $$$ on good casters rather than a commercial base, the one mobile base I ever bought wasn't very impressive.

You can easily lower the saw with my design. The saw itself sits on 3/4" plywood bolted on top of steel L-brackets. The L-brackets can be dropped as low as needed (though you might need longer brackets depending on how low you want the saw). You could also use smaller casters, which would drop the saw down even lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Jason,

My only concern about your base is that it raises the saw much higher than the HTC bases. My modified HTC base is designed so that the saw is only 1 1/2 inches higher on the base than it would be sitting on the floor. If you are a tall guy, then this is probably better for you. I'm 5' 8" and my 1980's Unisaw is about the right height without any mobil base. The last thing that I wanted to do was raise it 3-4" with a base like yours. It even took me a while to get used to my Unisaw after I raised it only 1 1/2" with the HTC base.

Charley

John -- If I had your welding skills I would've made mine out of steel, too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Downey View Post
    IMGP6530.jpg

Mine is home made too, though not quite as pretty as Jason's

I spent the $$$ on good casters rather than a commercial base, the one mobile base I ever bought wasn't very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    Oasis MB800 is the best value in a heavier duty adjustable mobile base. I have Shop Fox that's probably like the Grizzly and one of the wheels broke and compared to the Oasis the frame is flimsy.
    just a follow up loren, the Oasis MB800 is still going strong.
    Most of the time, I don't even need to raise the casters off the floor. The uni is heave enough that it stays there.
    40's Uni, 30" bies, oasis MB800, = a sweet set up.
    Got a few sleds built for it too.