Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: You know you're a woodturner if....

A while back I made a couple bluebird boxes, but when my Dad had seen them he said the hole for the bird to go threw was to large (should have done my homework) and that other pesty birds would get into them instead of the targeted blue birds. How would a wood turner handle this problem. I'll let the picture speak, and as you can see, we have happily nesting "Western Bluebirds" building a home! Looks stupid but they don't seem to care at all.
    bluebirds-7.jpgbluebirds-9.jpg

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    If your Aunt Lily asks you to make a dough rolling pin for her kitchen, and you refer to it as "commissioned work" you know you're a woodturner.

You know you're a woodturner when you get a splinter and upon removing it think to yourself..."I could make something outa that."

When you check out the cellophane wrapped bundles of firewood sold by the box stores in the Winter and wonder if there's anything in there worth chucking up in the lathe.

--and these, from Steve Marlow

You might be a wood TURNER if...

...you buy a bandsaw that costs more than your lathe... for the sole purpose of rounding out bowl blanks.

...you feel this unexplainable emptiness every time you throw a piece of wood in the fire

...you have a hard time finding a pen around the house that isn't made of wood... and you give your wife and kids nasty looks any time they pick up a plastic pen.

...your wife doesn't bother to call around looking for you any more. She just goes out to the shop when she needs you for anything.
    ...you nearly caused a car accident because you thought you saw some logs on the side of the road...

...you name your kids "Chuck" and "Burl"

...you name your dogs "Banjo", "Jet", "Oliver", or "Spalty"

...at your spouse's suggestion, you put a telephone, TV, and refrigerator in your shop... so you don't have to "carry sawdust into the house all day."

...you really - honestly - whole-heartedly - are torn between taking that vacation in Hawaii and buying that new big lathe with the 24" swing.
    ...you think that any household item can - and should - be replaced by something you make... from table legs to the toilet paper roll holder.
    ...you've walked around your neighborhood ? checking your neighbors' trees for burls.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

when in the first year of woodturning I looked at my right hand and saw I was missing my right index finger, tip of thumb, and tip of middle finger.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    ... you think when or what time is it appropriate to start turning on Christmas Day?

image.jpg
    ...if one if your Christmas presents is a large hunk of wood!

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

When all of your pets are eating and drinking out of custom turned bowls.

Hu

Checked my e-mail after the last post and the obvious struck me. You know you are a woodturner when you get more Christmas cards and greetings from woodturning suppliers than friends and family!

Hu

You know you are a woodturner when you are visiting the grave of your bride on Christmas, and there is a freshly downed and cut up tree on the path to the grave. You load up several logs in the trunk, then walk up to the grave to thank you bride for the special Christmas gift.

Merry Christmas to all and many blessings this new year

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 12-26-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Wow Michael. She must have been one very special person!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Peter,

She was the love of my life and my best friend. We had quite an adventure together for the past 20 some years. I have to smile or chuckle with every memory.

I think most wood turners I know have pretty special wives :-)

You Know you are a wood turner when: Your amazing wife wants every piece you make and your logs are placed everywhere. Even in the back of your beloved hot rod truck!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

You know you're a woodturner if your nickname was once "Woody" but now it's "Chip."

Russell Neyman