Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're a woodturner if....

A real woodturner lusts for the bump on the tree the guy advertising gold on TV leans on. Wow.

You realize that your language has become heavily laced with four letter words, many of them beginning with the letter "F". Words like "form" and "flow".

You realize that your friends are looking at you with a somewhat quizzical expression as you expound on the importance of "proportion".

You have begun to refer to everything you make as "a piece".

Your typical shop projects have been reduced in size by 80-90% of the size they used to be.

You find yourself willing to invest enormous amounts of money and travel great distances to attend "demos" and "symposiums".

You find yourself no longer able to draw a straight line and you realize that the term "board feet" has lost all meaning for you.

You have begun to wonder why you bought that "tape measure" thing.

You actively seek out pieces of wood that you previously would have tossed in the fireplace.

The word "piercing" no longer makes you think of women's navels but of the oddly shaped holes in your "latest piece".

A "void" has become something to be desired.

Your "signature style" no longer has anything to do with how you sign your name.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 09-22-2013 at 4:48 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

DD...cheater! I had a bunch I was going to post, too. But thought I'd let others partake. You OBVIOUSLY are a "turner".
    I drink, therefore I am.

you know you are a wood turner when you have tools that have their own fans.

Thanks Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Harris View Post
    You know you're a woodturner when you are driving down the street admiring the lumps and bumps and interesting crotches and you all of a sudden realize OMG I'm lusting after trees!

I actually noticed this recently while driving along and essentially ignoring the young ladies and admiring the trees, boy oh boy, I know I'm approaching middle age (I'm 71) but this is ridiculous.

Phil Harris
    good to know, I won't be middle age until 51 weeks from now

bowls

When you turn a bowl twice so that you get one bowl. Jerry

Blog Entries
    When you know of every burl on every tree on the route from home to work.
    When you hope to catch someone cutting down a tree that has a burl on it and hope they have no clue what it is.
    Have a Nice Day!

When you tear out the bottom seam in your shop shirt pockets so they don't fill up with shavings.
    When you find wood shavings in your bed because you were too tired to shower after finishing your piece at 2 am and your wife knows where you went in the house by the trail of wood chips you left behind.

.....when you monitor SMC while on vacation in Europe.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    You can be absolutely positive you're a woodturner if your wife says to you, "We have ENOUGH ROUND THINGS, and the next round object you bring to me better have a five-carat diamond in it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Himes View Post
    When you find wood shavings in your bed because you were too tired to shower after finishing your piece at 2 am and your wife knows where you went in the house by the trail of wood chips you left behind.
    Too true!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

All so true . . thus all so funny . . . makes me proud to turn wood!!

You need to find where the source of that chainsaw noise is coming from.

Never turn with cargo pants on.

WTF has become an acronym you can use with impunity.

Wow is no longer an exclamation of surprise.
    David DeCristoforo

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    You know you're a woodturner when the rosewood handle of your awl is prettier than the gearshift knob on your neighbor's classic car!