Thread: Walnut Shaker End Table

Walnut Shaker End Table

shaker nightstand left done.jpgshaker nightstand right done for sawmill creek.jpgshaker nightstand dovetails done sawmill creek2.jpg

New to the forum. Wanted to share my recent build. Shaker end table from walnut with cherry drawer interiors. Drawer is joined on all four corners with hand cut dovetails. Finish is a wipe-on oil and urethane mix from General Finishes. This is my first piece from walnut, except for a coffee table which I'll post soon, that has walnut drawer interiors. BB ends seem to always be a struggle for some reason but these came out pretty good. I discovered card scrapers for the first time on this project and absolutely love them. The only sanding that I did was to ease the edges before finish. Looking forward to any questions or comments.

Hi Scott. Welcome!

Your table looks great! Though most people wont open the drawer to notice, I really like the contrasting cherry inside. It makes your dovetails more decorative than "just" functional.

Look forward to seeing more from your shop.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hi Scott. Welcome!

Your table looks great! Though most people wont open the drawer to notice, I really like the contrasting cherry inside. It makes your dovetails more decorative than "just" functional.

Look forward to seeing more from your shop.
    Fred
    Thanks Fred. Gonna post a couple more soon. Working on a trestle bench from reclaimed Douglas Fir right now. I'm documenting the build on my website blog right now. Should be interesting.

Beautiful work Scott. Your bb edges came out great. I'm kind of new to the hobby and I'm curious: why bb edges rather than end grain? Aesthetic or functional or is it a combination?

Very nice work, Scott. And welcome!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice. Good job with the photos too - they show the piece very well.

Paul