Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for the tip about thin saw blades

Thanks for the tip about thin saw blades

I don't know if I read it here or on another forum, but the idea to put a 7 inch fine tooth very thin saw blade on my Dewalt table saw was a great idea.

It makes cuts that are sooooo smooth, and when you are cutting small parts, it seems to be safer (not sure). I like it for cutting inlay parts and they are so smooth.

The blade I got is 5/64ths, makes nice kerfs for inlays !
    MARK

Mark, is your Dewalt TS a 10" blade capacity saw?

I'm interested to read this. I have been told - loooooong ago - and never second guessed the theory that for safety sake you shouldn't put a smaller diameter blade on a 10" saw, whether table saw or miter saw. The theory being that the small diameter blade would be spinning way to fast on the saw designed to spin a 10" blade - overheating and throwing high velocity teeth at you faster than any mere mortal could ever duck .

Have I been missing out due to my blissful ignorance? I hate being so dumb . Please reassure me that Mark is safe and I'm just too gullible.
    I assume it's the latter.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

3. How's that work Sam?

Smaller DIA should be spinning slower out at its edge as it's covering less ground (so to speak) per revolution.
    Otherwise, simply a smaller lighter blade doesn't explain difference and being "OK" for all the different tooth counts, blade kerfs, etc...

Curious, and just wondering.

A.W.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post

I'm interested to read this. I have been told - loooooong ago - and never second guessed the theory that for safety sake you shouldn't put a smaller diameter blade on a 10" saw, whether table saw or miter saw. The theory being that the small diameter blade would be spinning way to fast on the saw designed to spin a 10" blade - overheating and throwing high velocity teeth at you faster than any mere mortal could ever duck .

Have I been missing out due to my blissful ignorance? I hate being so dumb . Please reassure me that Mark is safe and I'm just too gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Diethrich View Post
    How's that work Sam?

A.W.D.
    There are some things I'm just not smart about Adam. Really, this is what I was told when I was young and impressionable and never doubted - didn't risk proving it to myself otherwise. I'm not challenging Mark. I was asking because I was surprised. Happy to be enlightened.

I am exposing my soft mental underbelly here for all Creekers to see.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

5. You could be right, I'm just thinking technically being at work and all, and got me wondering about it

A.W.D.

There are some things I'm just not smart about Adam. Really, this is what I was told when I was young and impressionable and never doubted - didn't risk proving it to myself otherwise. I'm not challenging Mark. I was asking because I was surprised. Happy to be enlightened.

I am exposing my soft mental underbelly here for all Creekers to see.

Like Adam says, a smaller diameter blade will be going slower at the tips than a larger diameter blade, and from what I remember a 7.5" blade is rated to around 10,000 RPM... Aren't 10" table saws usually running at around 3450 RPM? Way under that 10k anyway.

In any case, putting a smaller blade won't cause the motor to overheat - no load, the motor will run up to whatever speed it wants to run. A smaller blade might help it get up to speed faster (less mass), but shouldn't ever cause the motor to run too fast.
    ~Garth

I use 6 1/2 and 7 inch blades on my 10" table saw quite a bit. For cutting small segments for bowls, I lose much less owing to saw kerf. When ripping bigger stuff, the saw works much less. A win - win for me.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Let's not forget... Dado sets are often as small as 6" in diameter. No reported overheating issues that I am aware of.

I've been using a thin kerf 7-1/4" blade on a small Delta saw to rip inlay stringing. It works like a charm and I get more pieces from my 2" wide packs. Plus the Freud Diablo blades are cheap.

Like Eric says dados are smaller and work fine.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

That's okay ,Sam,very common thing to get temporarily confused about. Besides ,we've already got you in the computer as a smart guy ....and I'm not smart enough to change the setting.

I run a CMT .067" blade all the time. Love it. Also usually run the 8 1/4" version on my 12" RAS! The only possibly issue I can see, is it's too thin to work with most, if not all riving knives or splitters. The RPM on a cabinet saw and a small saw are about the same, so that is not an issue As mentioned the rim speed will be quite a bit slower with the smaller blade.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 09-23-2013 at 10:07 PM.

The "gotcha" comes when you install a blade that's thinner than the splitter/riving knife, and the work piece hangs up mid-cut....a very precarious situation.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    I run a CMT .067" blade all the time. Love it. Also usually run the 8 /14" version on my 12" RAS! The only possibly issue I can see, is it's too thin to work with most, if not all riving knives or splitters. The RPM on a cabinet saw and a small saw are about the same, so that is not an issue As mentioned the rim speed will be quite a bit slower with the smaller blade.
    Do you have a part number for this blade? I can't find anything thinner than .075 on their website.

Sorry, it's may be actually .071. Senior moment?

CMT 251.040.07 ITK

Also this one at .069...

CMT P07040 ITK

Not sure either is the one I'm using.. might just have to pull it off the saw and look, Richard! If I recall the 8 1/4" is 0.071. Any way it is close enough that I just use 1/16th to account for it when I move the fence.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 09-23-2013 at 10:13 PM.

FYI - The 7-1/4" Freud Diablo is .059 kerf. It is available in 24T, 40T & 60T
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford