Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowes Experience

Lowes Experience

I had purchased some Scotts Winterizer fertilized at Lowes 8 days ago and now Home Depot is offering 25% off if you purchase two or more bags. I went to Lowes and asked if they would match the price. Lowes said the Home Depot sales was a promotional sale and they could not match the price. I told the clerk at Lowes I would just go out and get it and return it which I did. Interesting, aren't all sales promotional?? Went to HD and saved $23 and change.

George

What is your point?

It seems unfair to the store to criticize them in this case unless their policy states that they will retroactively match lower prices that you find later.

I very very rarely use fertilizer for environmental reasons. I live near the Chesapeake bay, and most of the fertilizer you put down will end up further destroying the bay.

It has been discussed on this forum that Lowes does do price matching of competitors as does Home Depot. I have personal experience that the chain stores have in the past matched sales prices, theirs and competitors, as long as it was within a 30 day window of your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    It has been discussed on this forum that Lowes does do price matching of competitors as does Home Depot. I have personal experience that the chain stores have in the past matched sales prices, theirs and competitors, as long as it was within a 30 day window of your purchase.
    George, if your prior experience was at Lowes, perhaps this was something best taken up with the Lowes manager-on-duty, rather than the clerk. JMO.

David

If your time and gasoline spent hauling fertilizer around was worth less than $23, guess you got a good deal?

Suppose I hired someone to build me a cabinet. They built and delivered it. It looked good for the price and I happily paid for it. Then suppose a second woodworker comes along 8 days after I paid the first guy and told me they would have been willing to build the same cabinet design from the same materials for 25% less. Would I be justified going back to the first cabinet maker and demanding a 25% rebate?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Suppose I hired someone to build me a cabinet. They built and delivered it. It looked good for the price and I happily paid for it. Then suppose a second woodworker comes along 8 days after I paid the first guy and told me they would have been willing to build the same cabinet design from the same materials for 25% less. Would I be justified going back to the first cabinet maker and demanding a 25% rebate?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

If the original cabinetmaker advertized he would match any other prices within a certain time frame window---yes asking for a refund of the difference would be entirely justified and fair. Lowe's and Home Depot do advertize such policies. If they did not, it is entirely a different story.

I have never seen where either HD or Lowes would match a competitor's price 8 days after the sale. I have seen disclaimers where they will not match a "promotional" price. There is a difference between a promotional price and a regular price, whether you acknowledge it or not.

Blog Entries
    Not being a big fan of Lowes, it seems they rendered exemplary service in letting you return the product after a week.

Of course, they they may have had more to lose by not accepting the return.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I looked up their policy out of curiosity, and it looks online like they'll match sale prices that are published, and beat advertised regular prices by 10%. It doesn't say anything about giving anything within 30 days after a sale, but defers any additional details to your local store.

It does exclude non-stock items, custom order, etc. Sounds like it would have been no problem if the HD price would've been presented at the time of purchase. I can't fault them at this point, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Not being a big fan of Lowes, it seems they rendered exemplary service in letting you return the product after a week.

Of course, they they may have had more to lose by not accepting the return.

jtk
    Actually, I think Lowes goes too far in the other direction accepting returns for a refund. There always seems to be lightly used tillers and pressure washers for sale at reduced prices in the front of the store and they always seem to have a few pieces missing. I asked the store manager about this and he said it is usually someone who wants to do a one time job and doesn't want to pay for a rental. They simply purchase the item, take it home and complete their job and bring it back for a full refund. This abuse drives up prices for everyone else. I don't think they should accept returns that have been used/abused for a day or two and the returned for no apparent reason. Bags of unused fertilizer is a different story.

Instead of trying to get one store to match another store's sale price, I just go to the store with the lower price.
    Sounds simple to me.

While i am not prepared to write Lowes a blank check for its whole operation
    .i am a comparison shopper to a fault. No i mean to a real fault-internet searches =other stores- under the desk for old sale catalogs etc.
    Having said all that i have after 75 years on this earth never saw a more reasonable company to do bussiness with than lowes.
    Certainly sometimes because of quality or price i've chosen to shop elsewhere.
    But i have never had any unsurmountable problem with Lowes - customer service - including returning articles for any reason ..Again I have seen the returns come in from customers who use an article for a one time job fully intending to returnn it --a lawn mower and roto tillers spring to mind.... When i see this i chill to the bone that these returns will put future legitimate returns in jeopardy.
    anyway rather than ramble on let me just say if someone isn't happy with Lowes and their return policy and have contacted the store management to mediate and still aren't happy they may want to re exam their expectations... or perhaps the system is broken at that Lowes store...
    . Just my humble opinion and i ain't got no humble opinions..