Thread: Wiring question, circuit size

Wiring question, circuit size

Can anybody think of any machines that would require more than a 30 amp 240 circuit? None of my current ones do, although the big bandsaw is close. I'm wiring the new woodshop, and want to future proof the wire size as best as I can.

Depends on the size of the equipment. Most single phase will be 5hp or less. Larger will likely be 3 phase. A shaper, planer, and dust collection are some that come to mind for larger home shops. Hvac is another that may draw more than 30A and a welder if you do any metalworking.

I would run the larger circuits later if needed. Actually 20A will do most but the incremental cost of the larger wire may make sense.

A couple I can think of would be a wide belt sander or a larger shaper.

If you believe in global warming then pay attention to Michael regarding HVAC, even in Nebraska...... If not, then you are probably OK. Collectively however you also want to remember lighting, dust collection, multiple operators, air compressor, outlets for hand tools, and.. what else have I missed?

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of the wide belt. Ok on the cyclone, I'll likely be the only operator, but if not, there are plenty of circuits. Air compressor is good, haven't bought the HVAC yet, but it will be a short run under the breaker panel, so won't be hard to do whatever is needed.

The list of 240 tools that I have are the Felder, big bandsaw, lathe, unisaw, cyclone, will get a bigger compressor, radial arm saw, and the power feeder. All those are less than 30 amp circuits. I'll research the wide belt, but it will likely be a used three phase machine to get a better price, so thats a whole new can of worms down the road someday maybe.

Just want to plan for as many of the "wish I would haves" as possible before I close the walls.

My tiny G9983 5hp widebelt required a #8 wire. I just took it through the attic and dropped the wire down the wall right next to the sander. The panel is accessible from the attic.