Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Workshop layouts...

Some pics...

I need more ceiling drops now that I changed my layout!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

You'll want a sharpening area, suggest it be in close proximity to your hand tool workbench.

For your assembly table, consider something that you can change the height of the table. You could pick up a cheapo lift table from Harbor Freight or a used materials handling outfit, and then frame out a plywood top for it.

Finishing? Where you gonna do that? What type of finishing do you plan on doing? Since this looks to be a commercial gig, and you may be subject to visits from the Fire Marshal, you may have to keep flammable finishing supplies in a Fire Cabinet.

Rolling carts. You'll want one or two. Where are they going to park? How are you going to handle the sheet goods breakdown (SGD)? Anything used for SGD is going to need a place to live when not in use.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    You'll want a sharpening area, suggest it be in close proximity to your hand tool workbench. For your assembly table, consider something that you can change the height of the table. You could pick up a cheapo lift table from Harbor Freight or a used materials handling outfit, and then frame out a plywood top for it. Finishing? Where you gonna do that? What type of finishing do you plan on doing? Since this looks to be a commercial gig, and you may be subject to visits from the Fire Marshal, you may have to keep flammable finishing supplies in a Fire Cabinet. Rolling carts. You'll want one or two. Where are they going to park? How are you going to handle the sheet goods breakdown (SGD)? Anything used for SGD is going to need a place to live when not in use.
    I certainly won't have the time to do my own sharpening. That's for sure. One day if definitely like to learn the craft. Now doesn't seem to be a good time to start.

My assembly table is under construction at the moment. I have to put it on hold while I work on my first paid project in the new shop.

Mobile carts, definitely. I have plans to build one after the assembly table and a couple projects for some clients are complete.

Clamp cart too I'm thinking.

Finishing... For now I'll most likely end up doing that in electronic workstation area. Or perhaps in the front office area. I wipe on gel stains frequently and brush or spray clear coats.

For sheet goods breakdown I use a 2"x4'x8' piece of pink rigid foam and my TS-75. Then on to the table saw. When I'm done I pick up the foam and set it up against a wall. Simple and sweet. Not too fancy or pretty, but it works and it's super fast, efficient, and accurate.

Great ideas!

Any thoughts on my power tool layout?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

i have a feeling you'll change your mind about sharpening station...even if you don't do a ton of handwork, what happens when your chisels get dull? block plane? card scraper? these are all essential tools even if you mainly use power tools. i'm no pro at sharpening, but i'm not going to buy second sets of these items just so i have something to use when i send the others out for sharpening. saw blades, sure, send them out, but i see a bench grinder/stones as a necessity.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

I guess I'm too late, but I would have advised putting your table saws next to each other instead of opposed. My reasoning, (and I have used this setup for years), is that I don't want to run back and forth every time I need a wider cut to move the fence or drop the blade on the other saw! To me that would become so much of a nuisance I know it would drive me nuts. With them next to each other you can share a fence rail and run stock the same direction, which is also more comfortable to me.

As far as other equipment it sometimes comes down to how you like to run your own shop. I like to work a certain way and my shop is layed out in the best way for me to work within the possibilities of the space. I know there are several things I'd change if I could change certain things in the shop....(eliminating columns, or moving garage door), but other than that it works OK. Also you'll find as you grow you may want to upgrade certain machines and/or bring on other machines you had maybe never considered in the past. This may also cause you to want to change your layout at some point. So set it up the way you think will flow and try it out, but also try to keep things flexible enough you can change layouts relatively easily as you grow!

good luck,
    JeffD

i'm not seeing a lot of sawdust on that floor. ever do any income producing work in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    I certainly won't have the time to do my own sharpening. That's for sure.
    Wow. Woodworking without sharpening...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    I certainly won't have the time to do my own sharpening. That's for sure. One day if definitely like to learn the craft. Now doesn't seem to be a good time to start.
    Take note of what Ethan said... which is essentially the same as my response would be.

Any thoughts on my power tool layout?
    Jointer is in an iffy location. IF you ever do put router tables into the tablesaw extensions, you'll find yourself moving the jointer every time you want to use the router. Also, the jointer has no infeed or outfeed support. Many folks will set their jointer up right next to the planer. You could do that and share the feed supports, plus it makes D/C simple.

I would move the smaller Bandsaw over a couple feet closer to it's big brother. Get it farther out of the corner, and have some ability to "share" the tables between the two for feed support.

Think about where you're going to put a floor model Drill Press, likely along the same wall as the bandsaws. One will almost certainly come your way someday. Just don't think that stuffing a DP into a corner is a good idea. It's not, as you'll discover when you find yourself trying to drill a hole in the middle of a stick 4 feet long...
    Last edited by John Sanford; 10-02-2013 at 5:33 PM.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    i'm not seeing a lot of sawdust on that floor. ever do any income producing work in there?
    Wow. Woodworking without sawdust. Very efficient DC.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Take note of what Ethan said... which is essentially the same as my response would be. Jointer is in an iffy location. IF you ever do put router tables into the tablesaw extensions, you'll find yourself moving the jointer every time you want to use the router. Also, the jointer has no infeed or outfeed support. Many folks will set their jointer up right next to the planer. You could do that and share the feed supports, plus it makes D/C simple. I would move the smaller Bandsaw over a couple feet closer to it's big brother. Get it farther out of the corner, and have some ability to "share" the tables between the two for feed support. Think about where you're going to put a floor model Drill Press, likely along the same wall as the bandsaws. One will almost certainly come your way someday. Just don't think that stuffing a DP into a corner is a good idea. It's not, as you'll discover when you find yourself trying to drill a hole in the middle of a stick 4 feet long...
    One of my table saws has a router table built into the right side. I'm actually going to be selling that entire assembly and getting another SCTW saw. Possibly a 7.5HP 3 phase unit for $1300. Brand new!!!

As for the router table I'm getting a stand alone table. Haven't decided which one yet. I'm thinking a cast iron top and an enclosed base. Perhaps the Rockler version.

Good point about the sharpening. I guess I should go that route.

For now I can get by with my bench top DP.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Not without sharpening, just (possibly) w/o ME doing the sharpening.

How many professional WW's do their own sharpening? Blades, bits, chisels and knives?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    Ha! LOL!!! Yes, I usually take pics after cleanup. My CVMAX is on back order. It's a MESS in there right now. Lots of Cherry. Lovely smell.

That was yesterday's pile. Today's is still there. Even bigger. Yesterday was actually my first day of being able to actually work on one of my confirmed jobs. Very satisfying feeling. I just can't wait until the CVMAX gets here!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Michael,

I get tired just reading about how much you get done in a short time. Don't know how you can get things done that fast . Please tell me you have a whole crew behind the scenes.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Michael, I get tired just reading about how much you get done in a short time. Don't know how you can get things done that fast . Please tell me you have a whole crew behind the scenes. Rick Potter
    Nope. Just me. I did have a friend help me move the big heavy stuff. He also helped a bit with hanging the pegboard. I built the lumber rack, plywood cart, outfeed table, assembly table (partially built... I had to start these 6 Cherry floating shelves).

I certainly appreciate the compliment. At times it sure does seem like it takes me a super long time to progress with my projects.

I'm definitely motivated. I can tell you that. A wife and 3 small children and bills to pay... How's that for a fire under my rear? LOL!!!

I'm really enjoying myself. That's for sure. I get so excited when I'm on my way to the shop. I'm starting to have more of a certainty to the end of my days. The first two weeks I was there like 12-14 hours mon-sat. Fun, but fatiguing.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Dude, you've got way too much floorium. You need more machines.

Kirk