Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time resawing....any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    I saw on mythbusters one of the guys attempting to "resaw" a board on a tablesaw, and the thing smoked like crazy...
    I saw that also. They just weren't doing it right, as in much of their "testing".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Yea, "We got years of experience that keeps us safe" and they get hurt like every other episode...

Probably better results will be with bandsaw blade with thickness of 0.5 mm. Small bandsaws tensions these thin blades more than next thickness - 0,63 mm. Also, as I understood after reading this forum, small bandsaws have small wheels, so if we have thick blades on small wheels we will have cracks earlier.
    And take a new blade for resawing, especially resawing of such hard woods as all rosewoods (dalbergia?).

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    I saw on mythbusters one of the guys attempting to "resaw" a board on a tablesaw, and the thing smoked like crazy...
    They were probably using the wrong sawblade, and likely an underpowered saw.

I resaw on my tablesaw from time to time as I don't have a bandsaw with a Freud TK ripping blade and never have issues.. Good point by Myk Rian. Leave a little material in the middle so the pieces don't completely separate. This is more for safety so the cutoff doesn't collapse on the sawblade and kick back.

As I don't have a bandsaw, I just finish the cut with a hand saw and then pass the piece through planer to clean it up.

To be fair, those guys are more actors than tradesmen, so they appear to know what they are doing but in fact aren't good at it. Not sure what "30 years of special effect experience" means.