Thread: Another First Timer work bench question

Another First Timer work bench question

Hey Everyone first major project. Going to build a workbench for the garage and a place to put the mitre saw. I’d like to incorporate an old door that is taking up space. The problem is it’s a single panel door like in the like below
    http://www.pasadenaarchitecturalsalv...oducts/dr5.jpg

I had some ideas such as putting some (3/4”?) plywood or mdf on top of it. Or even somehow filling in the panel with a smaller piece of ply and topping it with hardboard. Or even finding another solid slab door and using that on top of the first door.
    Whats the best option?

Thanks

I have an outfeed table made of a similar door. I just topped it with 1/4" hardboard. It's plenty stable.

I like solid work bench tops 2x6 or 2x8 lagged to a 2x6 frame. You will probably want to mount a vice and grinder along with you miter saw possibly even a small drill press. Solid is good for mounting tools. Not sure the door would stand up to some of the stresses. Also put some thought into what you want to do with the space under the bench.... storage for tools, materials whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have an outfeed table made of a similar door. I just topped it with 1/4" hardboard. It's plenty stable.
    ^^^This is a good idea. Although, me personally, I would use at least 1/2" Plywood, no more than 3/4". Heavier is better for a workbench and would increase resistance to sagging over time. You could then even wrap the whole thing in a hardwood edge to hide the plywood edges for a nice finished look. Good luck!