Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens if I push "windows" and "delete" keys?

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    That's what we did.
    My Android phone hangs up on all 800, 888, etc. numbers unless I tell it it's a good number.
    "Call Control" is pretty cool.
    When we moved a year ago we got a landline because it was part of a package; but I transferred my old number to google voice, and had it forward calls to my new phone. (I don't even know what my new number is) The good part is that gv automatically blocks most spam, as well as ones I manually block.
    Another nice feature is that I can change the forwarding to my cell when traveling.

Could this be why my bank account is empty, my credit cards maxed out and the truck just took away my furniture AND my remote?

Do you still have your dog?

What happens if I push "windows" and "delete" keys?
    The federal government shuts down......

My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    The federal government shuts down......

Good one
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

A fun one is renaming your home wireless network SSID to "FBI Surv Van1" for cold calls tell them your busy and ask them to call back later on your work number, then give them the number of the FBI Computer Crime unit to call back on.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Hitting the Windows & Delete keys simultaneously starts the launch sequence for the ICBM missiles that protect our country.

But Kevin,

They are shut down also.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    A fun one is renaming your home wireless network SSID to "FBI Surv Van1"
    I actually labeled mine "Malware" just for that reason. Many of my neighbors were naming theirs with their name or worse yet, home addresses. I don't think they realize that the name is broadcast to anyone searching for a network.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I got a phone call today from Alex. In a barely understandable accent he told me that he saw that my computer was full of harmful files and wanted to help me. When I expressed distress at the problem, he turned me over to the WindowsCare (a partner of Microsoft!) supervisor. Paul had an equally strong accent. He wanted me to push the "windows" key and the "delete" keys (well I think that is what he said; hard to be sure).
    That seemed like a bad idea, so I hung up.

I presume the goal was to turn something off, so I would have to pay them to learn how to turn it back on. So what do these keys do? Google doesn't show anything, but perhaps I misunderstood Paul.
    These scams unfortunately work all too often. My first question would be how he "saw" the harmful files in my computer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    I actually labeled mine "Malware" just for that reason. Many of my neighbors were naming theirs with their name or worse yet, home addresses. I don't think they realize that the name is broadcast to anyone searching for a network.
    I just don't broadcast ours... if you don't know the network name, you shouldn't be on it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I got my call today and did I have fun with the guy.

When he told me what to type in to the run command I told him it came up with a window and said " You are a dump #@$ if you think I am going to do that" he came back and said that shows that your computer is invested with a virus.

I then told him off in words that I can not say here just to make me feel better and then he hung up.

I really feel sorry for people that fall for this, there are so many that just don't know that it is a scam.