Thread: Ice Maker Problem

Ice Maker Problem

The ice maker on our side-by-side Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer stopped working the same time I changed the filter. I turned off the freezer, heated it up, restarted it but still doesn't work. I poured water in it thinking the inlet water line may be the problem; the water freezes to ice, but it won't kick out the ice and recycle. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Bob,

Can you provide a model number?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Is the timer still working?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Bob
    Some years ago, I had the same problem. If IIRC there is a small spring that controls ice recycle system. Look closely you may see that it has moved out of position. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Bob
    Some years ago, I had the same problem. If IIRC there is a small spring that controls ice recycle system. Look closely you may see that it has moved out of position. Tom
    Do I need to take the ice maker out to check on this? What's the IIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Is the timer still working?
    Dan, I don't know. Where is the timer likely located?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bob,

Ken, I'm at work. If the problem continues, I'll get it when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Do I need to take the ice maker out to check on this? What's the IIRC?
    IIRC = If I recall correctly

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Just a dumb thought or two, did you remember to turn the water back on when you changed the filter or if you had to pull out the unit to get to the filter, did you crimp the hose when you pushed it back in place?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    The ice maker on our side-by-side Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer stopped working the same time I changed the filter. I turned off the freezer, heated it up, restarted it but still doesn't work. I poured water in it thinking the inlet water line may be the problem; the water freezes to ice, but it won't kick out the ice and recycle. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
    Put the old filter back in and see if it works. Possible you got a bad new filter. Had it happen one time to my truck (diesel), new fuel filter was no good.

I have a similar problem. I believe I know the cause but the parts are too rich for my blood. Is the sensor that tells the ice-maker that the door is open function correctly? When you open the freezer door, an interlock switch is opened, and a red light flashes indicating the door is open and not to dispense ice. Push in the switch and see if the light stops blinking. Mine keeps blinking. I've gone back to the old ice cube trays, which I just empty into the dispenser every few days.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Lawson View Post
    I have a similar problem. I believe I know the cause but the parts are too rich for my blood. Is the sensor that tells the ice-maker that the door is open function correctly? When you open the freezer door, an interlock switch is opened, and a red light flashes indicating the door is open and not to dispense ice. Push in the switch and see if the light stops blinking. Mine keeps blinking. I've gone back to the old ice cube trays, which I just empty into the dispenser every few days.
    Hi John, looks like my red sensor is working OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Put the old filter back in and see if it works. Possible you got a bad new filter. Had it happen one time to my truck (diesel), new fuel filter was no good.
    Rick, thanks but I'm getting water out the water dispensor but no water into the ice maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bob,

Model no. is GS5SHAXNL00. I pulled the ice maker yesterday, cleared out some ice that had formed (mostly because I manually poured water into it to see if it would cycle, reinstalled. As of this morning, it did not refill with water (the water dispensor is working), so sounds like it's not instructing it to fill, then not instructing it to empty.