Thread: Mobile Base for Drum Sander with Storage

Blog Entries

Mobile Base for Drum Sander with Storage

I enjoy the drum sander and the jobs it can do but, the real estate it takes up is pretty sizable. Even with these large drawers and shelves at the rear to store prepared paper and accessories, the footprint is still smaller than the sander itself. For my shop layout I wanted the sander positioned as shown and the drawers facing the work area. This left a wide span for the nearly 200lb sander to set on. I built using torsion designs in the top and in a reinforcement area on the bottom. The drawers are full extension and the shelves have a lip to keep abrasives and whatnot contained whilst I roll it out for use.

19-38-stand(13).jpg . 19-38-stand(24).jpg . 19-38-stand(25).jpg . 19-38-stand(26).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-30-2013 at 1:28 PM. Reason: 131
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice job Glenn. I always enjoy your posts.

That's an excellent solution. Maintains the maneuverability aspect with incredible and easily accesible storage. I have a 22-44 w/ the narrow enclosed base and the storage is rather inconvenient. I can see a cabinet like yours in my future . Thanks for the idea.
    Dick Mahany.

Beautiful cabinet but where are the G&G accents?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

i'm going to have to look into adding some of those exterior storage shelves to mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! I also have a 22-44 and need to build a stand.. I really like the quick access shelves on the back side of the drawer enclosure. Very practical and thought out.. Thanks for sharing!

As normal, you have a bigger sander, more drawers..... what can I do, I just can't keep up...

Looks great and I am sure the extra space is a real help. I know with mine with the added drawers I could not believe how much stuff I could put in them.
    The thing I still need to do with mine is to add some infeed and outfeed rollers for it.

150237301.TkB0LlNc.P5164741.jpg

Thanks for all the great info and ideas. Looks like one will be in my near future!

I just came across this post while I was searching for mobile base options. I really like this design. I'm relatively new to woodworking (I've just done a few projects over the last year or so) but this looks like something I can tackle.

I do have one question though. What type of joinery did you use for the outer frame - dado slots? Given the weight of the 19-38, I want to make sure that whatever I build has plenty of lateral strength.

Also for the torsion top, did you just do something like a sandwich of 3/4" plywood with support pieces between?