Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamp Cart - 10 years old and still going strong; The good and bad of it

1. Clamp Cart - 10 years old and still going strong; The good and bad of it

In another post I mentioned I'm (slowly) moving my shop. This has allowed me to do the following things; 1) Find the stuff I misplaced. 2) (Re-)'Discover' things I've forgotten I had(!), and 3) Reevaluate what works and what doesn't and make changes.
    A number of years ago I saw Norm Abram built a clamp rack and he said it was going to "Change life at The New Yankee Workshop as we know it" (or something like that). That's a pretty bold statement, but I'm come to find out it's also probably pretty accurate.
    I immediately could see how useful something like that would be. So, I decided that I needed one too, got a plan and headed out to the shop and this is the result...
    Norm used plywood and pocket screws for his clamp cart, I made mine out of 1x4's and half-lap joints (I hate plywood! Don't remember why I didn't use pocket screws, I had the jig and everything at the time.). Finished it with a couple of coats of polyurethane, just to seal it.
    The main design criteria was that I wanted to be able to hang 24” Bessey K-Body clamps top & bottom to maximize the space, so that kind of dictated what the overall height would be and mine just happened to end up being a little taller than the one Norm made.
    Well, that was then and this is what it looks like today, 10+ years later...
    The main difference being that I've consolidated all the same size clamps together on one side, added some things to the sides of the A-frame (more on that later) and revised the number of casters (more on that later, too!).
    The front side has 12”, 24” & 40" Bessey clamps, large spring clamps hang on a 1-1/4" dowel between the ladder frames and on the sides are 8" & 12" KliKlamps, Handscrews, C-Clamps and other various clamps.
    The back side has spring clamps hanging on 3/4" dowels, 4" Mini, 18" UniKlamps & 50” Bessey K clamps, plus two 24" K-Bodies (as a result of poor planning on my part).
    There is a shelf at the midway point (Norm's didn't have a shelf there) that's useful for holding glue, brushes, biscuits, etc. and another shelf at the bottom.
    The key to this unit is movability (I believe that's the "life changer" Norm was talking about)... and I'll be honest with you, fully loaded mine didn't move very well at all - I think the caster size I used was 2-1/2", one at each corner (total of 4) and to make it easier to roll I had to end up using 3-rows of 3 (yes, 9 casters in all). At some point I did a back of napkin calculation that showed fully loaded it came out to a total of about 400lbs (that includes the wood frame). 100 lbs per caster should be an easily attainable rating to achieve, but in looking back at it now, I should have just went for 3-1/2” or maybe even larger casters and be done with it. But, at the time I was trying to keep a low profile and didn't want to add another inch or two to the height if I didn't need to. As-is it rolls fine now, but I’ve come to the conclusion that caster quality and caster ratings very greatly!
    Someone said that clamp cart has to be the most expensive real estate in the shop! On a per square foot basis it probably does cost more than any other spot... although, come to think of it, I bet the router station could easily exceed it, when you figure in all the router bits, dovetail jig(s) & templates, etc. etc.!
    In looking back at it now, if I were to build it today what would I change? Hard to believe, but I would make it just one Bessey K-Clamp wider (1-1/2"). Yeah, just an inch and a half wider would be perfect for my needs so that I could keep all the 24" K-bodies I have together on one side - right now I have 2 of them that wound up being separated from the others. Oh, and yeah, larger casters (larger than you think you need!) from the get-go!
    Some usage/building notes.. The 5-degree slope of the A-frame is absolutely perfect - clamps stay put even when moving it around. And the shelf at the mid-point is awfully handy too! A word about hanging stuff on the sides... I have a 4' long straight edge and a 4' edge clamp both hanging on the same side. This limits where you can put your hands to push the thing around. Just something to keep in mind when laying out where everything goes. Keeping all the same size/type clamps together makes a lot of sense, like I mentioned before, I originally had the 24" clamps separated front/back to distribute the weight better, but have found that's not really necessary... and on a related note; Gluing just the top and bottom horizontal ladders rungs (and maybe the ones at the middle shelf) that hold the clamps, allows you to make changes easily - I initially glued all of them and I have indeed needed to make changes since I built it.
    Dowels that stick past the base are prone to get broken off, especially if you happen to push the unit up against a wall (d'oh!). Keeping the dowels near the top of the rack gives you plenty of length to hold clamps and are protected by both the natural slope of the A-frame and the base overhang.
    Offsetting the large dowel that holds the big spring clamps keeps the clamps from falling off the ends - it doesn't take much, maybe 3/8" of an inch or so of overlap of the the A-frame is all it takes. Relying on friction alone to hold clamps in place really doesn't work.
    Right now I have a couple of Bessey GRZ SG-8 SuperGrips that are stored this way and it works okay, but I sometimes find them backing themselves out of the hole. The bar is long enough (8") that they have never fallen out, but this is one thing that needs a better holder/method and I really don't like the idea of clamping the clamp to the cart... Having to unclamping it first is just one more step you have to go through to use the clamp, then clamping again to put it away (I'm lazy!) is too much effort to go through.
    If you don't have all the clamps you need/want, plan for expansion... I didn't, but had a good assortment to begin with and right now I can't really see myself adding any more clamps to the cart (there's no room for them anyway), but I guess you never *really* know something like that!
    Should you want to build your own clamp cart, here's a full size (8-1/2"x11") clamp cart drawing file and a CAD file if you want to modify it to fit your own needs...
    Last edited by Tony Haukap; 09-30-2013 at 3:50 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice rack! Built mine out of some erector set metal I salvaged off a job, modeled it after the rockler version, but added some size. Lately I had to make it a little taller to accomodate some clamps I bought on the Grizzly clamp sale. I've added so many cabinet masters, and I beam clamps the pipe clamps don't make the rack. Need to make something to hang those on separately, as they are just backup now.

I built the same one about the same time. I use Baltic Birch (back when it was a cheap $28 a sheet) and didn't finish mine. I added a cross piece or two over time and a couple hooks here and there but largely its unchanged and has worked great. The casters are $4 specials from Harbor Freight with cast iron wheels and rubber tires. They still sell that same caster and I don't think they are a whole lot more expensive. I ran a dowel across the top inside for the spring clamps.

The glue shelf is a great idea.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for a great thread Tony. Very beneficial to hear about a shop fixture after the long haul of experience in working with it for years. I will add credence to your thoughts on large diameter casters.

Smaller wheel diameter means less added height to our fixtures. However, for someone like me who has his shop in a suburban tract home garage, casters that are a little larger have proven to be more effective.

Once again, thanks for the thoughts on the good and the bad as you have seen them over time. Experience from a member here beats most anything I read in a trade rag ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-30-2013 at 9:57 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I built a similar cart a few years ago, also out of scraps and 2x4s and it has served me well. One thing that I did is I love the Bench Cookies that Rockler sells, and I perforated the legs in a couple of spots to hold onto the cookies on their riser stems, as well as the steel rack that Rockler sent as a package deal with some of them. It keeps them sequestered where I am more likely to use them, and keeps the foam rubber from being torn.

I have not yet figured out what I want to do about shelves. I haven't put any in it yet, so that area is empty for now, but one of these days when I am feeling ambitious, I will. I also have places to hang my GripMaster off of it, along with all of its accessories.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Beautiful cart. Wish I had that many clamps!
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I must admit I have some clamp envy!

I need to make something like that. I currently have a clamp pile. I have a lot of C Clamps i need to figure out something for.

Nice clamp cart! You said you don't like clamping the clamp to the cart, how are the hand screws being held on?

Built mine about ten years ago, also. Used plywood and pocket screws. I rounded corners of base to prevent ankle injuries. Need to build a second one for rest of the clamps.

Your clamp inventory is to die for not to mention the great cart you built to house them.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

11. Thanks for the nice comments, guys!
    The handscrews stay in place on a couple of blocks with a v-groove cut in it - nothing fancy, but it works
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Any chance you could post the pic again? It's been years since you did, and the link is broken - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dioguardi View Post
    Any chance you could post the pic again? It's been years since you did, and the link is broken - thanks!
    The OP hasn;t posted in almost 2 years...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

No pictures here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Dioguardi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The OP hasn;t posted in almost 2 years...
    And yet another example of a thead gone sour due to not posting your pics IN the forum. Linking to pictures at photobucket and other off-forum sites is bad form and makes your valuable contributions go stale. Take an extra moment and post your pics to SMC ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler