Thread: Picture file size?

Blog Entries

Picture file size?

I have been searching this forum for information regarding posting pictures by the best possible methods. I am in the process of studying and image editing tools that may enhance my ability to post more images on SMC with less impact on SMC's web site space. I am one of those parties who has posted links to pictures on Flicker or Photo Bucket instead of uploading them to SMC. I actually thought I was helping reduce the amount of data SMC would need to store.

I am aware of the issues that can occur when the link to a picture, for whatever reason, no longer works leaving curious readers with no picture. I also found a moderators comments regarding maximum picture file sizes allowed. The post mentioned 1024 pixels or 107 KB as the upper end. I would prefer to not use up resources with unnecessarily large or detailed images though.

For instance, I am working on a post that I want to include a picture or pictures of two bowsaws in. The image from my iPhone was 1.9MB. When I did an upload to SMC, using Attachments, the file it placed in the SMC file was reduced to something like 106.7 (see below). It appears that there is some sort of interface software on SMC that is sizing uploads to standards set by SMC. Does this mean that I don't actually need to worry about the size of the file I upload? Maybe there is a size that seems to work that I could reduce my uploads too that will not use maximum space every time?

IMG_0085.jpg

Mike,

It's not interference software but rather, the latest verision of the vBulletin software that runs SMC has a limited range resizer built in. It's still better for an individual to resize them prior to uploading as it gives the user more control on the final image quality. I haven't loaded an images lately but IIRC if an image is "way too large", the current software will still reject and that is what I mean by limited range of the resizer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....