Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belated Table Saw Mini-Gloat

Belated Table Saw Mini-Gloat

Time for my first SMC gloat...the new table saw.

I've debated replacing my old benchtop cheapie Skil TS for some time now, and a recent bonus check from work was all the additional convincing I needed to actually buy one. Due to space constraints in my crowded garage, I needed something mobile, so a contractor's saw seemed to fit the bill. With a self-imposed spending limit of about $500-600, I researched a number of products and settled on the Ridgid TS3650 (even though it meant dealing with my local HD). There are a number of better saws, but this one fit within my budget and has more features than anything else I found in this price range. It was also favorably reviewed in several articles I've read. A few key points:

• 36" rip capacity (right side)
    • Cast iron table extensions
    • Poly-V drive belt with cast pully wheels
    • Smooth and accurate fence (it's not a Bies, but it has comparable specs in regards to deflection and repeatability)
    • Integrated mobile base (no additional expense)
    • Pretty decent dust collection shroud around the blade - and it fits my shop vac without any adaptors

The Grizzly G0444 looked very tempting, but by the time I got it comparably equipped and shipped, it would have been about the same amount or a bit more. (Plus, I read enough comments about shipping damage that I was a bit hesitant to go that way.) I also looked hard at the Craftsman 22114, but by the time I got it equipped with wheels and such, it'd cost more than I wanted to spend.

I feel a bit outclassed by the many Creekers here who have tools I can only dream about, but after using the Ridgid for a few weeks now, I'm very happy with my decision. Here's a pic of the new saw, fully assembled and including the home made right-hand table extension. I put a more detailed pictorial of the assembly on my web site here if you're interested.

And yes, that's a loose piece of OSB underneath the saw. The saw's easier to move on the hard surface, and it keeps the carpet in the garage clean.

- Vaughn

I'm glad you are happy with that saw, and I really appreciate the info on your website. I have been researching a good starter saw and I have decided to go with the Ridgid. Your site has answered some questions I had, and your decision to get one makes me feel better about wanting to get one too!

-Mark

Mark, feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions or would like higher resolution pictures. If your Home Depot is anything like mine, the display model is no indication of what the saw really feels like. (The "associates" at my local store knew absolutely nothing about it, and the display model was only half-assembled.)

As you said, the Ridgid is a starter saw, especially compared to the sweet hardware some of the other Creekers own, but it sure beats the little saw it replaced. I've read a few negative things about the TS3650, but as far as I can tell they've been corrected. My only "problem" has been the fact that it's quite a bit bigger in my cramped garage/shop than it was in the 900,000 square foot store. It's a problem I'm dealing with just fine.

- Vaughn

Congrats on the new saw. I have a C'Man contractors saw that is about 6 or 7 years old. One of my friends has a Jet cabinet saw that makes my mouth water when I am around it. But, I have made some nice stuff with my little C'man and although I would love to have a cabinet saw someday it is just not in the immediate future for me.

By the way, I think it might be against the law to have carpet in your shop . As if I don't have enough to be envious of with all the wonderful gloats here in the Creek I thought I was doing good with those rubber antifatigue mats and you have carpet . I really can't complain though as my entire garage is my shop - equipped with cable TV, a small fridge, and enough outlets to run just about everything I own at once. Life is good.

Vaughn---Congrat's on your new saw. I have heard good things about that one recently. I'm sure you will put it to good use.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Vaughn, seems like you and I went through the same woods hunting for a decent saw.
    I also looked at the Ridgid and the Jet. I ended up getting the Craftsman 22114 because of the sale they had last month, and I also liked the enclosed motor. Time will tell if Craftsman finally gets it right with these new saws. I took the chance on one.

I read in some recent WW mag that the Ridgid fence is equal to most any out there for accuracy, and repeatability.

Good luck with the saw, and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    .....I feel a bit outclassed by the many Creekers here who have tools I can only dream about, but after using the Ridgid for a few weeks now, I'm very happy with my decision. ...
    First off Vaughn, congratulations on what will prove to be a long happy relationship! Secondly, I wouldn't feel outclassed if I were you...SMC, in my humble opinion, gets it's class from it's diversity and education based on the many facets and levels of experience. I look forward to the inevitable creations you'll share.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thumbs up

Congrats Vaughn! You listed plenty of good reasons why that's the saw for you, no need to feel upstaged. The right side table extension looks great! (r u gonna drop a router in it?)

p.s.: carpet?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Time for my first SMC gloat...the new table saw.

I've debated replacing my old benchtop cheapie Skil TS for some time now, and a recent bonus check from work was all the additional convincing I needed to actually buy one. Due to space constraints in my crowded garage, I needed something mobile, so a contractor's saw seemed to fit the bill. With a self-imposed spending limit of about $500-600, I researched a number of products and settled on the Ridgid TS3650 (even though it meant dealing with my local HD). There are a number of better saws, but this one fit within my budget and has more features than anything else I found in this price range. It was also favorably reviewed in several articles I've read. A few key points:

• 36" rip capacity (right side)
    • Cast iron table extensions
    • Poly-V drive belt with cast pully wheels
    • Smooth and accurate fence (it's not a Bies, but it has comparable specs in regards to deflection and repeatability)
    • Integrated mobile base (no additional expense)
    • Pretty decent dust collection shroud around the blade - and it fits my shop vac without any adaptors
    The Grizzly G0444 looked very tempting, but by the time I got it comparably equipped and shipped, it would have been about the same amount or a bit more. (Plus, I read enough comments about shipping damage that I was a bit hesitant to go that way.) I also looked hard at the Craftsman 22114, but by the time I got it equipped with wheels and such, it'd cost more than I wanted to spend.

I feel a bit outclassed by the many Creekers here who have tools I can only dream about, but after using the Ridgid for a few weeks now, I'm very happy with my decision. Here's a pic of the new saw, fully assembled and including the home made right-hand table extension. I put a more detailed pictorial of the assembly on my web site here if you're interested.

And yes, that's a loose piece of OSB underneath the saw. The saw's easier to move on the hard surface, and it keeps the carpet in the garage clean.

- Vaughn
    Great looking saw, and i just spent an hour on your website, sure wish i could get that hour back j/k..

Might I add my congrats Vaughn! As was already said, absolutely NO reason to feel "outclassed"! You improved your equipment with something much better than you had and something you could afford and justify. There are a LOT of folks doing a LOT of wonderful work on equivalent or lesser machines than your new TS! Enjoy it and most importantly, work safely!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Congrats on the new saw---you know that there are members of SCM that would love to have a new tablesaw. You might want to look at adding a Forrest Woodworker II saw blade to your saw as a upgrade. Most new saws do not come with a great blade.
    Enjoy your saw and be safe.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Congrats on the saw Vaughn, it is a very nice one and I hope you enjoy it! Have fun, be safe!
    Corey

Vaughn,
    Congrats on the new saw. I've heard alot of good things about it and I like the Rigid tool line. I feel pretty outclassed by the people here who don't have alot of the tools I have and turn out awesome work.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Congrats on your new saw! You'll enjoy the heavier machine as you work on your projects as compared to the Skil.

BTW, I'm a bit confused about your need for the OSB under the saw...or is your garage carpeted?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark, feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions or would like higher resolution pictures. If your Home Depot is anything like mine, the display model is no indication of what the saw really feels like. (The "associates" at my local store knew absolutely nothing about it, and the display model was only half-assembled.)

As you said, the Ridgid is a starter saw, especially compared to the sweet hardware some of the other Creekers own, but it sure beats the little saw it replaced. I've read a few negative things about the TS3650, but as far as I can tell they've been corrected. My only "problem" has been the fact that it's quite a bit bigger in my cramped garage/shop than it was in the 900,000 square foot store. It's a problem I'm dealing with just fine.

- Vaughn
    Thanks Vaughn, and I will let you know if I come up with any more questions. As far as a starter saw, I meant a first saw for me, I've never owned a TS before and it seems to be the best saw for quality, features and cost (most bang for the buck). It seems to be a great all-around saw and may very well be the only one I ever purchase (unless I get really carried away with this woodworking stuff ) I can only dream about some of the awesome tools some of these fellers have around here, but unfortunately a man's gotta live within his means.

As far as negatives, over at the RIDGID forum there was talk of a bad arbor. Some stacked dadoes were causing issues, was this problem resolved by the time your saw was made?

Well, congrats on a great saw!

-Mark