Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacements for "iGoogle"

Replacements for "iGoogle"

All,
    I've been using iGoogle for my home page for a couple years and have come to like it. Now Google in it's quest to improve "my web experience" has decided to discontinue it. I love how software companies change interfaces in the name of improvement, when it worked great the way it was. And don't get me started on iTunes changes that have just make the program harder to navigate and do what I need to do.

Anyway back to the original question. Any good alternatives? I've tried igHome and Protopage. Both look acceptable on screen, but are lacking in useful gadgets that work correctly.

Thanks for any advise and letting me rant.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 10-04-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    I have been on the same quest ever since they announced it was going away. Try Yahoo.com or even MSN.com or excite.com. Excite is one you don't see mentioned much anymore, but it is still around and is pretty close to what igoogle is.

Of course others will suggest making SMC your home page, so I thought I would be the first.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-03-2013 at 3:50 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I haven't really found a real replacement. They keep saying "Chrome" but I don't see any feature of Chrome that replaces iGoogle.

Yep, it is carp like this that makes me dubious of new Google "products." Not to single-out Google, but it seems like Google leads the pack at throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I would guess changes would be revenue driven. I liked igoogle a lot, but it didn't have the ability to get many Google ads to you like the sites that make you click around more.

That's good for us, but not good for Google, and Google does what's good for Google first.

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Just so you know. iGoogle is on the way out, as per an email I received several months ago from them.
    It will be shutting down on Nov. 1
    http://www.google.com/ig and a popup tells you how many days left.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Just use Sawmill Creek as your home page. Why would you need anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Just so you know. iGoogle is on the way out, as per an email I received several months ago from them.
    It will be shutting down on Nov. 1
    http://www.google.com/ig and a popup tells you how many days left.
    I thought I mentioned that in my original post!
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    I thought I mentioned that in my original post!
    So you did. Sry.
    I would suggest yahoo, but they've made so many changes, I try to stay away from it myself.

I tried igoogle last year and didn't like it, so i stayed with yahoo. Now they have trashed yahoo, so I have gone to MSN. Not perfect, but okay.

Blog Entries
    I'm telling you, take a look at excite.com. They get hardly any press, but they are about the closest to igoogle as they come, maybe even better. It is very customizable and they have many of the same widgets as igoogle.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I'm telling you, take a look at excite.com. They get hardly any press, but they are about the closest to igoogle as they come, maybe even better. It is very customizable and they have many of the same widgets as igoogle.
    It would be pretty neat if you could delete what content you didn't like. I signed up for an account. It would not let me delete sports from the page or best fares and several others have no setting available. Also I don't see yet a way to add the gadgets I've come to love. Currency converter & Metric converter. GoComics, etc.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 10-04-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Well, as with everything there are trade offs. You are not going to find igoogle with another name. I don't actually use excite.com anymore, since switching to igoogle, but have always thought it was about as close as I could find. I too have been trying to find an alternative, and have pretty much given up finding the perfect home page. Plus, ever since I got a tablet, I have been using that to get my news, weather and sports fixes. I kinda like Flipboard for that. So finding an alternative to igoogle has become less important to me.

It surprises me that you cannot remove the content you don't want. I know you can make multiple tabs, so if you can't delete it, why not move it to another tab that you never click on?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-04-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Larry J Browning

I'll continue to tinker with it. Currently "igHome" is the closest thing to iGoogle. Biggest problem is the gadgets, but they probably will improve if interest is sufficient. I'm not expecting to find a program like iGoogle, just one better

Henry Ford