Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your handiest gadgets?

Blog Entries
    The Paolini pocket rule.
    That looks like what a specialized modern day Odd Jobs would be.

It must be pretty tricky bashing a 3mm rod through that smallest hole.
    Actually, it would be easy since the smallest hole is 1/8" (0.125") versus 3mm being 0.118". It would just fall through.

In my experience, the best dowels come from first cutting them just a hair oversize with a hollow auger, then popping them through the guide.

Square stock does okay, but it doesn't come out as cleanly as stock that is first cut round.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Actually, it would be easy since the smallest hole is 1/8" (0.125") versus 3mm being 0.118". It would just fall through.
    Hehe, I just knew you would say this. Nonetheless, do you find 1/8" dowels useful?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    I was thinking of a Dowel plate then saw this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...55&cat=1,42524

Just wish I had ordered the two smaller sizes when the set was bought.

Makes a couple more items to put in the cart to wait for a free shipping event.

jtk

I stumbled across a complete master dowel maker set on eBay for around $100. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42288

Honestly it is way more than I needed, but I could not pass it up. I was amazed at how heavily it is built and how well it is engineered. The pictures don't do it justice. Really it is a heavy thing with a very thick blade like a fine plane. I got the entire set unused. I am always wishing for dowels of specific woods to match or contrast the wood I am using. It is nice to be able to make my own. The "hammer the wood through a hole" process looks like it may work for short dowels, but the dowel maker is a better method. That said, the price makes it out of reach for the hobbyist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Hehe, I just knew you would say this. Nonetheless, do you find 1/8" dowels useful?
    Some of my up coming projects will be small boxes with hinged lids. Using dowels instead of metal hinges is something I want to try. May just use pins cut from nails.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Judson, your post reminded me of something that is almost always used and often ignored in my shop.

Attachment 272354
    So simple, yet so useful. I keep meaning to make a set of spacers, and keep forgetting or putting it off. Maybe this time I'll get it done. Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I stumbled across a complete master dowel maker set on eBay for around $100. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42288
    Nice Gloat... very stealth.
    Last edited by Gary Muto; 10-10-2013 at 5:58 PM. Reason: tried to fix quote
    Gary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    Nice Gloat... very stealth.
    Funny thing is, I almost passed on it. I didn't realize how well they are made and how heavy as well. That said, it was a cool find, and I am the eBay master!