Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still comparing Universal and Epilog 50 watt (timer and beep questions)

Not having a timer gets to be a pain in the but when it comes to pricing items. My yags don't have timers. To figure out how long a job took I have to remember too look at the clock when hit start and when it finishes. With the lasers with timers I can check how long the job took by looking at the timer. Even if I forget to check the time I can bring that job back up later to check how long it took.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Sorry Ross, I don't live my life by worst case scenario's. The real world facts for us is that in 6 years time, we've never had it happen. If I were doing any basic business calculation or ROI, if I saw the benefits of having something possibly happen versus the financial benefits of all the features, the benefits would far outweigh the risks.

If you want to know what happens if the computer freezes, that's no mystery. That's a known. If the computer dies, then the machine stops working. It loses it's connection to the laser and the job will stop. It's easy to recover for 95% of the jobs, just start the same job back up, reverse the direction and stop it when it gets to the point it left off. I agree, some critical or expensive parts that might be a problem.

However, if you'd like to do the "what if" game, "what if" the electricity goes off when you're engraving on the Epilog?". I've had that happen to me far more times than the computer going down while it was running.

In the real world, it's not an issue. Trotec and Universal combined have more machines out there than Epilog. How many times have you seen it brought up as an issue anywhere, other than in theory? That's what I thought, close to zero.
    That's great for you. What if someone else has older computers running their lasers with less competent employees? Something that might not be a big deal for you might be a huge deal for others.

Once again, you're going to have to explain to me why it's crazy talk to suggest you should have a separate dedicated PC to run a Trotec/Universal laser yet in the printing and CNC world you're crazy to do the alternative.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    That's great for you. What if someone else has older computers running their lasers with less competent employees? Something that might not be a big deal for you might be a huge deal for others.

Once again, you're going to have to explain to me why it's crazy talk to suggest you should have a separate dedicated PC to run a Trotec/Universal laser yet in the printing and CNC world you're crazy to do the alternative.
    It must be great for everyone that uses a Trotec or Universal because to date, I've never seen it be raised as a technical support issue or a problem issue on this forum. I've been on this forum for more than 5 years, I think, and I have yet to see one real life example from ANYONE that shows it's an issue.

My CNC router uses a dedicated PC too. My Universal has it's own PC and my Trotec has it's own PC. All files are stored on a network drive. It's not just that I haven't had a problem, it's that no one else seems to have had one either.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I have one machine for my laser, and one for my CAMaster. Never had a crash on either one. Take that for what it's worth...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    Not having a timer gets to be a pain in the but when it comes to pricing items. My yags don't have timers. To figure out how long a job took I have to remember too look at the clock when hit start and when it finishes. With the lasers with timers I can check how long the job took by looking at the timer. Even if I forget to check the time I can bring that job back up later to check how long it took.
    Just to make sure there is no confusion. The ULS DOES have a timer feature built in to the job control software and it is quite accurate. I also like the once you run a job, every time you run it again, the timer counts down to finish instead of up.
    VLS 4.60 60-Watt with Rotary
    Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop

I don't know how relevant this is but I run all of my equipment from one pc. Often I run the Trotec and the Newing Hall at the same time. I can't recall any crashes that have impacted the job running at the time. Engravlab does crash once in awhile but if the job has been sent the NH will finish it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7