Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Specs on this Computer.

That's about what I paid for my Dell laptop including an 8GB Crucial memory upgrade purchased separately and Dell will come to my house and fix it free for the next 3 years.

Agreed on the drive space. I wanted Win7 so I bought a 250GB SSD drive as well (not included in my statement above) and installed Win7 on that. If I ever have a problem I can stick the original drive from Dell back in and revert to the original configuration for Dell to troubleshoot. Its virtually empty as all files in our household are supposed to be on a NAS (if I could just get my daughter to learn that...)

That $529 deal in Larry's link looks like a lot better buy to me. If you chat with Dell Sales, they'll probably beat the advertised prices. My dad and I were both offered about a 10% discount on our machines.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-09-2013 at 9:24 AM.

Matt,

Thanks for you response earlier about Dell service! I have been having problems and because of the difficulties I experience using the telephone with my CI, I have putting off getting my Dell desktop serviced and it's under contract.

Using Chat I was able to discuss the problem with the Dell customer service and the guy will be out tomorrow or Monday with a new hard drive.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, you probably wouldn't be able to understand "Steve" even with perfect hearing. I've been using chat lately for any interaction with Dell and find it works as good or better than a phone call, plus there's a record should one be needed.

I'm late to this party, so apologies to the OP if you've already made your purchase.

I now consider PCs to be disposable.
    I keep my important files (photos, mostly) on an outboard hard drive.

I use the ASUS Eee box, as it's small and sufficient for my uses - mail and a few websites.

I browse the under $400 items, and try to stay an iteration behind the current Windows products.

In so much as I consider PCs unrepairable, I try to keep the replacement cost down.
    I guesstimate the Eee will last about three years, in each instance.

FWIW - I won't try to save a few dollars buying from an unknown maker, anymore.
    One too many problems with service, or complete lack of service spoiled that.

NewEgg
    TheNerds.Net
    Amazon

Have all satisfied my orders in the past.

Clarence. For 8 bills that is a good machine. No matter Win 8 or not. You can always change that.
    But for what is in that machine, it will last you 10 years before it gets old.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Clarence. For 8 bills that is a good machine. No matter Win 8 or not. You can always change that.
    But for what is in that machine, it will last you 10 years before it gets old.
    i have to agree...if you tried to build one yourself then it will cost more.

Might I add, get yourself a good monitor with HDMI input. For $200 I bought a nice HP 23".
    They don't all come with the HDMI cable, and will sell you one for $50.
    Get 6' BlueRigger cables on Eb** or Am***n. 10th the price. Get 20' cables if you want to connect to the TV.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Big lots and dollar general sell Hdmi cables for a lot less

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Big lots and dollar general sell Hdmi cables for a lot less
    True. But BlueRigger are high quality cables. Not sure what you would find at the Dollar stores.

I think you can do better for $800

For example, if you look at the cpu it has a AMD FX-6300 and benchmarks at about 144 in rank with a score of 6395 and is currently selling for $115.

On the other hand, I did a quick search on Costco and found this machine for $799
    http://www.costco.com/iBuyPower-Desk...100043237.html

It uses a Intel Core i7-3770 which ranks in at number 38 with a score of 9580 and is currently selling for $310 - quite a step up in performance. This machine also has a 2 tb hard drive versus 1 tb, and has 16 gb or ram versus 8 gb. They both use onboard graphics and audio but the iBuyPower from Costco comes with Win7 Home Premium

If your spending $800 - this would be a much better system for the money (imo)

Don't get hung up on the power supply. 300 watts is more than enough in a system like this - especially since it does not have a dedicated graphic card. Here is a calculator to see for your self > http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell...alc/index.html
    Last edited by John Huds0n; 10-12-2013 at 4:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    True. But BlueRigger are high quality cables. Not sure what you would find at the Dollar stores.
    HDMI cables have to meet certain specs. why are BlueRigger cables so much more. THey did a study and found the cheaper cables work just as well as the expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    HDMI cables have to meet certain specs. why are BlueRigger cables so much more.
    It's the build quality. BlueRigger are very well made.
    I have a couple cheap HDMI cables, and put them away when I bought several BlueRigger. $8 for a 6' cable sure beats the $50 BestBuy would have sold me one for.