Thread: American Automotive Warranty - scam?

American Automotive Warranty - scam?

A friend of mine finds a charge of $395 on a credit card of hers to "American Automotive Wentzville". Last month, she got a phone call from a person selling auto warranties and may have been talked into buying one. She'd like to cancel the purchase. However, the phone numbers I find on the web for the "American Automotive Warranty" and "American Automotive Service" in Wentzville MO don't work. The credit card company says she can't dispute the charge unless she contacts the merchant. Has she become the victim of a scam?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    A friend of mine finds a charge of $395 on a credit card of hers to "American Automotive Wentzville". Last month, she got a phone call from a person selling auto warranties and may have been talked into buying one. She'd like to cancel the purchase. However, the phone numbers I find on the web for the "American Automotive Warranty" and "American Automotive Service" in Wentzville MO don't work. The credit card company says she can't dispute the charge unless she contacts the merchant. Has she become the victim of a scam?
    it depends on what info was exchanged and agreed to on the phone. But yes there must be a provision to get ones money back unless its is a total scam. She did give her credit card number to them which is an absolute no no in my opinion.

The credit card company says she can't dispute the charge unless she contacts the merchant. Has she become the victim of a scam?
    Try (877) 892-5386, it worked for me.

This number belongs to a company which sells motor vehicle warranty service. They send you crap in the mail that is meant to take advantage of people who may not know better - by stating in their correspondence "WARNING: Your vehicles warranty has expired and you are not protected, you MUST take action to continue to have a vehicle warranty." even though your car may be brand new or even if your warranty is years still from expiring. in short... 99% of the time these guys are trying to turn a dime by selling you something you already have.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My credit card issuer has not required me to contact the merchant first for several charge backs I have done. However, in both cases the merchant went out of business after I sent back an item for a credit.

I bought a new car in March 2012. I keep getting automated calls about my warranty expiring on my cell phone and just got one tonight in fact. My warranty doesn't expire for another 18 months and I sure as heck wouldn't buy an extended warranty, if I wanted one, from someone who keeps robocalling my cell phone.

A friend of mine finds a charge of $395 on a credit card of hers to "American Automotive Wentzville".
    All charges that show up on my CC statement include a phone number to call for billing issues. I assume that's true for everyone? If you were to find that phone number is bad, I would suggest registering a complaint with your attorney general.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    All charges that show up on my CC statement include a phone number to call for billing issues. I assume that's true for everyone? If you were to find that phone number is bad, I would suggest registering a complaint with your attorney general.
    Are you saying the card gives a different number for each merchant?

Her "Blue from American Express" card statement doesn't give any phone number for the merchants. The phone number given for "Cutomer Care" leads to the representative who tells us that we must first contact the merchant before filing a dispute with American Express.

Today, a call to Americal Express customer credit connected to a representative who told a different story. He said we did not have to contact the merchant first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I bought a new car in March 2012. I keep getting automated calls about my warranty expiring on my cell phone and just got one tonight in fact. My warranty doesn't expire for another 18 months and I sure as heck wouldn't buy an extended warranty, if I wanted one, from someone who keeps robocalling my cell phone.
    If you have a smart phone, install "Call Control". You can blacklist any number, area codes, etc. The calls never get through to me.
    Political, sales, scams. They all go to the electron trash.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You can blacklist any number, area codes, etc. The calls never get through to me.
    The second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    If you have a smart phone, install "Call Control". You can blacklist any number, area codes, etc. The calls never get through to me.
    I just have a dumb old flip phone. I guess I could add a contact for that number saying 'don't answer', but who knows if they use the same number every time?

Are you saying the card gives a different number for each merchant?

Her "Blue from American Express" card statement doesn't give any phone number for the merchants. The phone number given for "Cutomer Care" leads to the representative who tells us that we must first contact the merchant before filing a dispute with American Express.
    Sorry for not responding sooner Steve. Yes, each line item charge on my CC statement has a phone number to the company making the charge. Maybe it's just a Visa feature on the statements or maybe my Credit Union. Very handy though. I've used it a couple times to dispute a charge. Sounds like you are being run in circles on this one. Hope it works out for the best for your friend.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher