Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone made a corner desk?

Quote Originally Posted by Federico Mena Quintero View Post
    I do like the empty space below the desk; I roll my chair a lot and switch between computers, so not bumping into things is important for me.
    Unrelated to the construction itself, At work I have three PC's at my desk for working in different networks. We use a 'KVM' switch (Keyboard/Video/Monitor) that lets you connect multiple PC's to a single keyboard/monitor and switch between which PC you are controlling. It really helps un-clutter a desk and opens up a lot of counter space without multiple monitors and keyboards in the way. They sell pretty cheap at electronic outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian AdamsMS View Post
    Unrelated to the construction itself, At work I have three PC's at my desk for working in different networks. We use a 'KVM' switch (Keyboard/Video/Monitor) that lets you connect multiple PC's to a single keyboard/monitor and switch between which PC you are controlling.
    KVMs are nice, but I'm afraid they wouldn't work for me. I often need to look at something while I debug it from another computer, so I do need multiple displays and mice/keyboards.

Federico,

Sorry! I completely missed the window component in the layout.

I spend more time at my desks than anywhere else and they are essential to have right.- I have a drafting desk and computer desk which are side by side 5' tables and a file layout table behind and I like to have everything at hand. I use reference books quite often and have a lot of CD's about.

Your point about CPU noise is an important one. At the moment I have a Dell Precision T5400 and HP z420 on a KVM switch, and fortunately these are workstations that are relatively quiet as I listen to music almost all the time. I notice that in the computer hardware world there is an increasing emphasis on the noise- even power supplies have dB ratings.

But, yes, I was thinking that in the symmetrical design each wing could have a drawer at the top and CPU cabinet below. The sides could have outside air intake grilles that could then vent at the back, so the noise is not steered towards the seating position. I was also thinking of a design that raised the CPU up a bit and the inset cabinet kick rail was the air intake- also venting at the back- a clean design and should be quieter because of the route the air takes. Also, another very good point about considering the cobweb of cables- I had a session where I spent a couple of hours routing everything and typing them in bundles about 3'- but of course, it makes changes a fuss.

It's a good project> desk design is both an interest- and difficult. I'd be interested to see what you eventually decide to do.

Alan Caro
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 10-11-2013 at 9:29 PM.