Thread: Parts banjo build.

Parts banjo build.

I have built a parts banjo 5 string out of used Parts I have bought over the last two years.It came out real well,getting the neck to fit the pot was the hardest ,to get the right fit.I am pleased the way it turned out,great tone.i will upload a picture when I figure out how.

parts banjo

i hope this works,here is a picture of the parts banjo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have any pictures in process? I have to admit, I know nothing about building banjos. I'd love to see how it's done.

No John ,never even cross my mind to take pictures of the process.Sorry.

Hi Roger,
    That looks great. Like 'mother of toilet seat' headstock overlay!
    I've played the 5th string for many years and built my 1st one in junior high using the Scruggs book and the Foxfire instructions.
    The Mastertone neck joint is tricky. Did you use a shaper?
    Chris

Very nice Roger! Did you do all the inlay? Fitting the neck is just a bear.... band saw, lots of sharp chisels, dremel tool, and about every other tool in the shop... if you do it all by hand.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

That links like a nice job. I have made quite a few banjos myself.

I promise you that your banjo will sound better if you cut away that 3rd. foot in the middle of the bridge. It kills tone. Also,avoid a bridge with heavy woods like ebony insets. They really kill tone also. And,finally,sand the bridge down as thin as you can without it caving in in the middle. These 3 tips will make a GREAT difference to tone.

I made a fair amount of money back years ago,fixing Gibson Mastertone banjos whose owners thought did not sound good.

Your pearl inlays on the fingerboard show great artistic instincts,too!!