Thread: Never had this happen before

Never had this happen before

I've been turning a long time and never had a tool snap in two before. I was hollowing a spalted maple NE bowl and had only gotten a couple of inches into it when my gouge snapped. As you can see from the pictures it was a Oneway Mastercut 1/2" bowl gouge. There was no catch. I was making light cuts. Metal fatigue? Thankfully it wasn't forcefully ejected and just dropped out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. I have that gouge too. It is one of my favorites. Looks like brittle fracture, but since you are in Arkansas, it probably wasn't cold. Is there a defect in the metal? An end pic of the gouge would be extremely helpful. I have a MC 5/8 too. Were you hanging a lot of the tool off the rest?

Very surprising. You may want to sent the tool back to the manufacturer, not even in hope of replacement, but so they can inspect for defects.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Send a picture to Oneway and ask for a new one. The metal may have unwanted inclusions and possibly bad heat treat.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Wow. I have that gouge too. It is one of my favorites. Looks like brittle fracture, but since you are in Arkansas, it probably wasn't cold. Is there a defect in the metal? An end pic of the gouge would be extremely helpful. I have a MC 5/8 too. Were you hanging a lot of the tool off the rest?
    I'll add pix of both ends tonight. Maybe an inch or inch and a half over the rest. I wasn't very deep into it. Hadn't even made the first finishing cut on the edge yet.

It happened to me once with a no-name parting tool way too far over the tool rest. It broke at the tang, though, not in the middle like yours. And it was a catch.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

glad you are ok, thanks for sharing

I've seen one PM tool break like that. Nearly new and the company replaced it. I would contact OneWay. They may want it back for diagnostic reasons to prevent repeats, and should stand behind their tool.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

My first Thompson 5/8" gouge broke in a similar way. I reached Doug, who was on the road, who said there are sometimes defects in the PM blanks. He sent me a replacement as soon as he reached home. Great customer service and have not had any further problems.

Steve, I had the same thing happen with the same gouge about two years ago. I ended up sending it to the vendor I bought it from and getting a new one. The Vendor sent it back to oneway. I learned to turn with this gouge many years ago and it is still my favorite.
    Good luck,
    Tom

Excellent advice already given about contacting Oneway, etc. My 2 cents is an observation from the upper section in the photo. There appears to be a discoloration on the fracture face on the right side of the flute, just at the very edge, which could be a defect and where the fracture began. Don't touch the fracture face so they can get a complete picture of what happened. I have several PM tools and have never seen this before. I worked in a powder metal QA lab many years ago and inclusions or defects would fail the billet everytime. I imagine Oneway will treat you well.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!