Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: a job completed - '27 Cadillac

a job completed - '27 Cadillac

I just finished o job I was given to do on some of the interior woodwork of a 1927 Caddie. 1st was the dash instrument panel that was missing most of it's walnut veneer and he couldn't find anyone to do it, so I got the challenge. the 1st pic is of the bare nickel plated insert and the next 2 completed
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    this next piece came in 3 pieces and was totally missing the burl veneer inside the stringing and missing a backing piece of 1/16" veneer. repaired it all , put in the burl veneer and applied all new stringing
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ext are the 4 pieces that go on the doors. the 2 on the frt doors had just been upholstered and he wanted them to look like the other 2 which were done in walnut also. only the 2 in the back were thrashed and the only thing that I could save was the figured walnut pieces inside of the stringing. the crossbanding veneer or base veneer for the top stuff was also shot so had to separate that from the top layer to. then started to put it all back together
    [IMG][/IMG]
    it was a pretty good challenge to get it all put back together.
    ron

Pretty good challenge? I bet there are only a small handful of craftsman that could do that dash plate.
    i am speechless!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What Bruce said!

I'm astounded. This seems more like magic than craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing!

Incredible work Ron, the dashplate is truly a work of art. Very impressive to say the least!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    That is awesome. I do fine inlay work and I cannot figure out how you even did this. Do you have pics of the process? Did you do a rubbed transfer of the pattern first?

Yeah,like Malcolm I'm wondering what the process is . If I only saw the finished work I would have assumed the metal "inlay"were loose pieces. And that would be difficult enough !

flabbergasted!

Blog Entries
    Outstanding!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    I knew there was a reason that they invented the word WOW! Just absolutely beautiful work. Folks like you help keep the past alive.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Fantastic,

I also would love to know what process you used to do that dash insert. I love to see how things are done, even though there is zero chance I could ever do them.

Rick Potter

Two words. Incredible! How?.

One word: holy moly, that's fantastic !!! (really said fast is one word)
    MARK

thanks for all the kind words about it. I did spend a fair amount of time to accomplish this and believe that there is a limited market for this type off application, so I will keep the process to myself for now. if you need a hand with something specific though I may be able to help. sorry.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    this picture though will show you that it is all one continuous structure of grain. it would be pretty hard to cut and put in all those little pieces that accurately. that may answer your questions
    ron

Yikes, you are da man. Fantastic job.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I'm thinking the originals probably had faux finished Bondo.