Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: a job completed - '27 Cadillac

Stunning work Ron. You must feel very proud.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I find that there is a real interesting past to this car. here is a link to an Aug.8, 2014 n/paper article. hope it works
    http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/...9-a641dbbc6a16
    ron

found some more info on this car
    http://driving.ca/chevrolet/auto-new...-to-modern-day
    ron

You had said this plate was nickle plated but in the car interior pictures the metal appears gold. Just a reflection thing in the photo or was their more plating in the restoration?

I knew this car well when growing up in Victoria, BC. The city was loaded with wonderful old cars and in the 50's there was story about old cars in the garages of the many mansions. We started climbing fences and looking in garage windows and saw some amazing cars - lots of Rolls Royce covered in dust. In the 60's a friend owned a 1953 Cadilac Eldorado convertible, one of 1000 built - white laquer and black leather - and a sterling silver dashplate.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    You had said this plate was nickle plated but in the car interior pictures the metal appears gold. Just a reflection thing in the photo or was their more plating in the restoration?

I knew this car well when growing up in Victoria, BC. The city was loaded with wonderful old cars and in the 50's there was story about old cars in the garages of the many mansions. We started climbing fences and looking in garage windows and saw some amazing cars - lots of Rolls Royce covered in dust. In the 60's a friend owned a 1953 Cadilac Eldorado convertible, one of 1000 built - white laquer and black leather - and a sterling silver dashplate.
    you will see in every picture up until it was finished that it is nickel. I also said that I did not finish it. that is the varnish which that was applied over it that has given it the yellow appearance. it would have been difficult to do any plating after the walnut was applied.
    ron

I did not do these front window frames, but were done by someone else. the person that has done these window frames has laid claim to have done the inside trim of the vehicle . It may have been another person who made the statement while they were writing an article and perhaps did a little creative embellishment. I have seen that before. it was a 3 page spread on them in 2 newspapers. One which is the largest daily in B.C. and the other the largest on Vancouver Island. http://www.vancouversun.com/homes/Ho...952/story.html. the piece about the caddy is on page 3. It smarts a little when someone else lays claim to what you have done; especially in this capacity. I did email both parties awhile back and have never received a comment from either. always those little disappointments in life
    ron

I'm not so sure it's so out of line, ron. There are no pictures of your dashboard in the article and the sentence that refers to the Caddy work refers to the interior trim. Would you have preferred that they said, "...the interior trim, except the dashboard, which was made by ron david." ? While that would be accurate, the article is much broader than that.

Maybe you could contact the Vancouver Sun and ask them to come interview you about your shop and projects. That would be an equally good story. Your dashboard is a beautiful piece of work and would make an excellent lead photo.

actually if you look back I did more than the dash insert, did the pieces on the doors under the windows and the curved piece on the dash over the insert. I would never ask for an interview
    there is not much that one can do after the fact. it has happened. I am not whining about it, just stating that it happened and can happen
    ron
    Last edited by ron david; 08-18-2015 at 11:28 AM.