Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a job completed - '27 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I'm thinking the originals probably had faux finished Bondo.
    now we are being a little pessimistic are we? here is how it looked when I received it. it was petty dirty and one couldn't see any grain structure what so ever. did put a small piece under a microscope to actually look at it as the owner said that it was walnut burl. burl would have been a real PITA to install in there and to not much benefit. it was just plain old walnut as you can see on that one piece that I cleaned off.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ron

Just joshing ,and certainly understand the concept of trade secrets. Even in 1927 surely they made more than ONE Cadilac. Question ,do you think they did it the same way you did? Or do you think they must have done it a different way,due to some things you used that did not exist then? And I understand if you choose to not answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Just joshing ,and certainly understand the concept of trade secrets. Even in 1927 surely they made more than ONE Cadilac. Question ,do you think they did it the same way you did? Or do you think they must have done it a different way,due to some things you used that did not exist then? And I understand if you choose to not answer.
    think that there were about 4-5,000 that had this dash insert. now do I think that I did it the same way that they did. there may have been a common ground but they would have been much more sophisticated with their approach due to the mechanism that would have been available to production work. my way would have more than likely primitive as to the way that they did it esp due to the economics of a one off. if another does come along then I will capitalize on it.with the reasoning behind how to do it and my jigs in place. it is all mechanics. thanks for your thoughts about it
    ron

For production runs in the thousands of pieces, I'm guessing they would have built a die and stamped out the pattern.

Can we guess how we think you may have done it?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    Can we guess how we think you may have done it?
    go ahead, get a discussion going on it.
    ron

OK, here's my guess : you soaked or steamed the veneer then pressed it into the nickel medallion using the platen in picture 4. The veneer would have to dry in place with a pretty good amount of pressure maintained, I imagine, so some kind of drying step (an oven or heating the medallion somehow would keep the veneer from molding. When dry (pictures 4 to 6 = top / pictures 7 to 13 = bottom) the veneer was attached to the medallion and the embossed wood sanded off. The trickiest part, according to this idea, is the delicate sanding or scraping (picture 1 = partially sanded). My guess is you sanded until you saw a hint of metal, then finished with a Scotch Brite pad or something.

Additional thoughts : I think you had to have been careful to use a glue that would dry completely to attach the veneer (no spray adhesive or contact cement, I would think) or it would have defaced the wood when sanding ? I wonder how a vacuum bag would work .. probably not as good as the press, I would guess.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 10-15-2013 at 3:16 PM. Reason: added additional thoughts

you weren't guessing but you were peeking. those were pictures as I was working thru the process. I don't sand wood down until it fits. any of that stuff that you saw in those pics was all part of the process but are all rejects except for the finished pieces.
    ron
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-22-2013 at 1:45 AM.

We can possibly guess the general process, but, as my rich buddy says.....It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. That would make Ron the Indian Chief.

Having said that, I would hazard a guess that back in the day, they mass produced these with a stamping machine? Seems like they would make a cutter at the same time they cast the molds for the metal dash. They would have to do something like that to get the quantity they needed.

Rick Potter

..Then you must have fashioned a custom-fit bottom platten so the medallion wouldn't deform.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-22-2013 at 1:45 AM.

Still very impressive work ,only down side of hearing principles involved is that now the space aliens won't get any credit on the tv documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Having said that, I would hazard a guess that back in the day, they mass produced these with a stamping machine? Seems like they would make a cutter at the same time they cast the molds for the metal dash. They would have to do something like that to get the quantity they needed.
    Considering a quantity of 4000 ~ 5000, I'll bet they farmed that job out to a shop that did it similar to how Ron did. Imagine the hellacious stamp that would be and the hand work to make sure the wood parts that had to stay stayed and the others went away.

here is what I will say is that you need the right thickness of material which was .019" thick veneer. the veneer has to be malable, you need heat, the kicker is finding the right adhesive that will bond the veneer to nickel that will last and be compatible with the malable process and then it all goes together in 1 kick at the can. a lot of this comes together with a lot of years in hands on experience.
    I am going to reference something here. I was invited last year to an exhibition. it was titled, "10,000 Hours. craft invested". it was pulled from Malcom Gladwells book ,Outliers", which states 10,000 hours to be a master for proficiency at what you do. I think that is just a load of crap to sell you books. that is or was the minimum time once for an apprenticeship.10,000 hours represents 5 years at 40 hrs a week roughly. I figure that I have gone past the 90,000 hour mark at what I do. I work entirely by myself
    ron

Ron, you have mastered skills that I can only dream of. Your elegant and finely crafted work is a testament to your commitment to exquisite quality workmanship and can only hint at the vast knowledge and experience you have gained in 90,000 hours. These are beautiful pieces and the Caddy owner should be very proud have them gracing his antique, restoring the interior beyond the original.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 10-15-2013 at 4:16 PM.

I was going to guess that your basic process involved pressing and gluing the veneer into the metal part with a hydraulic press and a hard rubber backing then sanding to expose the high spots of the metal. But I suppose that is like saying you can light a fire by rubbing two sticks together, the devil is in the details.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin