Thread: 18 to 23 foot wooden Garvey or Dory plan needed

18 to 23 foot wooden Garvey or Dory plan needed

I would like to build a Garvey or Dory with flat bottom (very little rocker) in wood, I can mill and dry boat lumber here onsite without having to buy plywood and would prefer wood planking construction. Has anyone built one or know where to begin my search for this type of drawings/plans?.
    I edited my post in order to introduce myself as this is my first post and I am new here to Sawmill Creek, I am a wood worker and have been building mostly outdoor projects around my residence and barn etc. I have never built any type of fine woodworking projects or art related woodworking as I have mostly rough type carpentry tools and am devoid of that type of talent. Most of my projects have been out of necessity and when I am finished with a project it is usually to heavy to lift without help just to give you some idea, I am exited to be amongst the talented members in this group and will always try to help with things that fall under my type of work when asked. Thank You for any info regarding my first post here. Rick
    Last edited by Rick McCormick; 10-15-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: introduction needed

I'm not sure what you're going to find in recently done plans although I'd look at Chapelle or Atkin's plans/books from years gone by. Should be a multi-purpose Garvey or two there. Sucher's Flat bottom boat book is also a treasure, I think you'll find something there, BTW, WELCOME! Good luck,
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McCormick View Post
    I would like to build a Garvey or Dory with flat bottom (very little rocker) in wood, I can mill and dry boat lumber here onsite without having to buy plywood and would prefer wood planking construction. Has anyone built one or know where to begin my search for this type of drawings/plans?.
    I edited my post in order to introduce myself as this is my first post and I am new here to Sawmill Creek, I am a wood worker and have been building mostly outdoor projects around my residence and barn etc. I have never built any type of fine woodworking projects or art related woodworking as I have mostly rough type carpentry tools and am devoid of that type of talent. Most of my projects have been out of necessity and when I am finished with a project it is usually to heavy to lift without help just to give you some idea, I am exited to be amongst the talented members in this group and will always try to help with things that fall under my type of work when asked. Thank You for any info regarding my first post here. Rick
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 10-15-2013 at 6:02 PM.

Hi Rick, years ago I drew up a set of plans for a garvey for the East Hampton Historical Society on Long Island,NY (they had a boatshop I was running) I know they offered them for sale for a while. You might give them a call (631)324-6850 but don't be surprised if they have not a clue what you are talking about. Ask for someone at the Marine Museum. The museum in Sayville, NY might be another place to try. They did like the Garvey around here.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thank You Mac and Jim

Jim I was able to get in touch with the staff at Marine Museum and the one person that is knowledgeable on this subject called me back yesterday, she knew that in the past the museum had such things to offer but they are no longer offering any plans for sale.
    Thanks for the link .... I have plenty time to go bark up another tree or two. Rick

A couple other sites for boat plans are Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and Mystic Seaport, not sure if Jim's plans are available there although there should be something in the Garvey category for you.
    Good luck,
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 10-28-2013 at 8:35 PM.

Harry Bryan is a boatbuilder in New Brunswick, Canada who sell his designs. He has a 23' garvey, Trout. Laminated bottom with lapstrake sides. A good way to go. The laminated bottom (some are using Titebold III today instead of epoxy) will avoid the problem of caulked seams leaking when launched until the planks swell up. Lapstrake is very enjoyable, not hard, expecially on a garvey which has little twist to deal with. And it is nearly or completely tight when launching, which is a big deal if you are trailering.

There are other designers today producing garvey designs, but mostly in plywood.

http://www.harrybryan.com/harrybryan/plan17.html

Tim Mooney, Peace Dale, RI