Thread: Digistop preliminary gloat

Digistop preliminary gloat

I must have been not too bad this past year, because I got a Accurate technology Digistop for my birthday! Just starting to mess around with it, and it looks great. Basically, it's the hobby version of the proscale system. Nice sized readout, easy to push the buttons. What I think I am really going to like is that when you calibrate you basically lock the stop in an arbitrary position, make a cut, measure with calipers, then push the plus and minus keys to display the proper value. That way there is no trying to figure out where to zero against a blade.

My reason for asking for this is that I want to build some projects to some pretty tight dimensions. My saw has a digital rip fence, but I have struggled with the crosscut. I'm trying to figure out how to mount it to the machines so that I can move it from the radial arm saw to the sliding saw.

Pictures to come when it's mounted on the mochine.

BTW- Accurate Technology has these on sale this month. Not cheap, but it looks very well made. The extrusion is pretty heavy duty and the readout is big.

http://www.proscale.com/products/digi/DigiStop.htm

Rather than move it between machines just ask her for another one. ;-)

Looking at the system what would you do if you wanted to set the stop up two trim off 3 inch pieces. It looks like you can only get the stop as close as the end of the fence is that accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Looking at the system what would you do if you wanted to set the stop up two trim off 3 inch pieces. It looks like you can only get the stop as close as the end of the fence is that accurate.
    Keith, I'm just starting to look at it, but you are right- it looks like the stop can't reach all the way to the blade for really short pieces because the encoder starts to project outside of the extrusion, plus the saw guard could bump into the stop and display. It looks like it could cut as short as about 1 inch, if the extrusion is very close to the blade and the guard out of the way. In any case, one approach to cutting very short pieces, if that would come up, would be to put a piece of scrap lumber between the stop and the blade, cut the scrap and zero the scale, then move the stop and cut scrap over to your 3 inches and use the cut end of the scrap piece for a secondary stop.

If you wanted a bunch of pieces, it also has an incremental mode. It looks like you would set the increment to whatever you want, plus the kerf. For example, your 3" plus 1/8" kerf. Then you would cut the end, hit some buttons and move the stop, for another cut- and keep going for 3" pieces. THere are a few button sequences, but I read the whole manual in just a few minutes.