Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got my first motorcycle today(added a picture)

Congrats on the new bike acquisition. You will love the experience. Nothing much to add here in regards to bike ownership. Other than to strongly recommend proper gear when riding. I know what road rash feels like, and I don't like it.

Curtis,
    Familiarize yourself with the DVD video "Ride Like A Pro" and his other video "Surviving The Mean Streets". I've been riding motorcycle for over 45 years. I can tell you all kinds of realities of riding motorcycle. Check around for other offerings of a motorcycle safety course. The one I took just 6 years ago was taught by a nationally certified Law Enforcement officer that teaches motor-cops how to ride police motorcycles.
    Always ride your bike like you are totally invisible. Always make eye contact with those that are pulling up to turn left in front of you. Always keep lots of space between you and as many of the cages (cars) as you can. Watch what others are doing inside their cars.....that alone can give you a clue if they will pull over on you or not. Wear your safety gear. Make yourself as visible as possible.....The motor cops here reminded me that cars don't even see them coming a lot of times...and they are running with bright-lights on, flashing lights, sirens, and a 900 pound bike coming down the road.

You can ride safely....you can avoid accidents....ride responsible....ride with your head on a swivel and leave plenty of space around you. Congrats on your bike.....be safe and enjoy.....because I know I have for the last 40+ years of riding. I'm now on motorcycle # 22.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have found that some drivers can appear to look you in the eye and still not see you. The eyes tell me nothing which is why I prefer to look at the front wheels of cars. I always assume that the driver of the car doesn't see me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    possible.....The motor cops here reminded me that cars don't even see them coming a lot of times...and they are running with bright-lights on, flashing lights, sirens, and a 900 pound bike coming down the road.
    Ain't that the truth!

I've had quite a few bikes over the years. There is some danger in them, they are not for everyone. Learn some skills. And never try to prove your bike is faster than the next one, the roads aren't for racing. And ATGATT all the way, even when it's hot.
    I could get into quite an argument about my opposition to loud pipes and biker parades but not here, this is a civil form. Steve I'm with you, I avoid Sturgis also. I'd rather ride than park and pose.
    The Plane Anarchist

When it comes to safety, I'm sure a lot of it can be learned. But I started riding when I was 18 and one thing I've learned: Some people have it, some people don't. I've been out riding with friends and we're stopped at a red light when I looked over to see a friend fall off his bike. Just standing there, feet should have been firmly planted on the ground. No gravel, oil, anything. This friend had taken two courses in safe riding.

Thinking back to when we were kids, this is one of the same guys that was accident prone in regards to his bicycle. He'd ride into bushes going around a corner, for instance. He seemed to wobble a lot.

I watched another friend drive right into a deer once. Deer ran out in front of him, he had time to emergency stop or nearly so, he tried to swerve to the right (that is what the deer did, too, upon seeing him).

So my advice, when it comes to safety, is this: If you used to fall off your bicycle a lot, or have a lot of bicycle accidents, if you're somewhat accident prone, if you've had a great deal of close calls or accidents in a car, DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    When it comes to safety, I'm sure a lot of it can be learned. But I started riding when I was 18 and one thing I've learned: Some people have it, some people don't. I've been out riding with friends and we're stopped at a red light when I looked over to see a friend fall off his bike. Just standing there, feet should have been firmly planted on the ground. No gravel, oil, anything. This friend had taken two courses in safe riding.

Thinking back to when we were kids, this is one of the same guys that was accident prone in regards to his bicycle. He'd ride into bushes going around a corner, for instance. He seemed to wobble a lot.

I watched another friend drive right into a deer once. Deer ran out in front of him, he had time to emergency stop or nearly so, he tried to swerve to the right (that is what the deer did, too, upon seeing him).

So my advice, when it comes to safety, is this: If you used to fall off your bicycle a lot, or have a lot of bicycle accidents, if you're somewhat accident prone, if you've had a great deal of close calls or accidents in a car, DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE.
    if the above describe you or me then the first cycle better be a tricycle [three-wheel motor cycle ]

image.jpgTrike? No way! Get one of these, lots of fun and like a trike you don't need to balance it at low speed like a real motorcycle either.
    The Plane Anarchist

Life on a motorcycle can get interesting. You haven't lived until to run over a skunk with a motorcycle, or get hit in the chest of your T-shirt by a June Bug while zooming down the hiway at 80..(I thought I'd been shot!!)
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Life on a motorcycle can get interesting. You haven't lived until to run over a skunk with a motorcycle, or get hit in the chest of your T-shirt by a June Bug while zooming down the hiway at 80..(I thought I'd been shot!!)
    Hey, that's nothing. I am pretty sure that I swallowed Mothra once.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

And in case you have not heard it already, draft the epithet for your gravestone immediately.... If you let someone else do it they may get the spelling wrong.

Bumblebee scored a bullseye on the Adam's Apple at 65 MPH for me...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Bumblebee scored a bullseye on the Adam's Apple at 65 MPH for me...
    Also Caught a Starling in my jacket once...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the motorcycling club.

I bought my first motorcycle (2006 FXST) in August 2010 with 7K on the clock. It now has just shy of 48K on the clock.

Here's my pride and joy:

429527_3623421627092_934450175_n.jpg
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Also Caught a Starling in my jacket once...
    Only one, they fly in flocks for a reason