Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasering a mirror

Small text (say under one inch tall) is very hard to read if you engrave from the front. You see the engraving as well as the reflection of the engraving and it becomes blurry.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Are there any precautions to take if engraving the front, like masking. can the beam be redirected causing risk to eyes. I have always engraved the back, much nicer results, for me anyways.
    2017 Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Corel X8
    Photograv 3.0

New Hermes Pantograph
    2-Corner cutters/notchers
    1- Combo Shear.
    Vision VE810HD Rotary
    Numerous support tools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john passek View Post
    Are there any precautions to take if engraving the front, like masking. can the beam be redirected causing risk to eyes. I have always engraved the back, much nicer results, for me anyways.
    CO2 wavelengths can't make it through the glass to be reflected, so you're safe.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Tougher as well from memory isn't it Keith?

cheers

Dave
    Dave,

Yeah, acrylic mirror is more forgiving then glass mirror but the down side is that it will scratch if abused and glass won't. I can't say that I use the two for the same purposes but acrylic gives me another substrate to use for less common types of projects. I use gold acrylic mirror on top of black acrylic mounted on a wooden plaque a lot. The look can be quite elegant on some signs and its cheap and fast to produce.

Send it to me Matt - wedding is what we do - no need to bother yourself with such menial tasks!!!

From the back works best!

Also be careful when using acrylic mirror - warp on larger sheets can create a hall of mirrors effect.
    Last edited by Jiten Patel; 10-18-2013 at 6:14 AM.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

I may very well send her to you Jit, she's the wife of a guy we do work for and she does a side line in wedding bits and pieces so i said i would help her out, i will mention your sexy stationary when she comes in.
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Hello,
    Bringing up an old post here. What kind of settings do you recommend for engraving the backs of mirrors. I know it will depend on the coating etc., but what starting point would you suggest? I have a 35 watt Epilog and I know they recommend 30s 100pwr for 400dpi for plain glass.
    Thanks,
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    Thanks guys, back it is then !!! not something i would normally do but its a 'favour' no doubt it will all go wrong as 'no good dead goes unpunished'
    Just remember to mirror your engraving

We engrave the front, just masked up then finish with some Rub 'n' Buff as we do on all glassware, the finished product turns out well
    MCM 1.jpg

If you use fiberlaser it works well from the front

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Licata View Post
    Hello,
    Bringing up an old post here. What kind of settings do you recommend for engraving the backs of mirrors. I know it will depend on the coating etc., but what starting point would you suggest? I have a 35 watt Epilog and I know they recommend 30s 100pwr for 400dpi for plain glass.
    Thanks,
    Patrick
    Too little power and the coating or some of it will remain - run again. Too much power (with-in reason) and you engrave the back of the mirror - probably what you want. So, unless you are applying so much power as to break the mirror, test away. I would note however, if you start with low power & need to run again - please INSURE the piece is secure and cannot move between runs.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Don't think anyone mentioned that if you do decide to engrave the front DO NOT! run your fingers or hands over the engraved area unless you want a hand full of glass slivers.ouch! On the rare occasion I engrave the front I always take it to the sink and use the sprayer to rinse off the piece first before rub and buff
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you tweak the settings just right, you can engrave just the backing off, and not etch the glass at all.

It has an incredibly cool subtle effect.
    Depending on what the mirror is reflecting, it looks different at all angles.
    It may reflect a dark wall, and be incredibly contrasting, or as you walk past it reflect a white wall, where you can't notice it at all.

I engraved an entire shop front in mirror tiles, as you approach it is hardly visible and definitely not noticeable. But as you're just about to drive past it's incredibly contrasting and catches your eye.
    Will see if I can dig up a few photo's.

Mitchell
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

I have done the back and then spray painted it to give it some different effects

I've done lots of photographs on mirror, and always engrave and colour from the backLooking.jpg
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it