Thread: That old Violin that just got sold from the Titanic

That old Violin that just got sold from the Titanic

That old Violin that just got sold at auction from the Titanic, they say it is unplayable. Forgetting the historical value of the thing, couldn't it be repaired to make it work ?

Some really broken up violins have been made playable . I would guess this one could .

Sure, why not. It looks basically sound. Take the top off, Fill&cleat&clamp any cracks, reset the neck, dress the fingerboard, fit some pegs(maybe bush the holes-guessing the originals are warped), cut a bridge&soundpost. Check the saddle. Maybe keep the same tailpiece for character, but get a new string to tie it with. String it, put bow to string.

I would think so. Once,I repaired a Martin D-28 guitar that was backed over in a grass parking lot at a fiddler's convention. The Brazilian rosewood back was pretty invisibly put back together. The top was splinters too I replaced wood where needed,and drew matching spruce grain onto the wood with brown ink and a crow quill pen(a steel pen by that name). I mean,that guitar was in hundreds of pieces!! I can imagine what went through the owner's mind when he heard the crunch,and remembered where he left his guitar!!

I also rebuilt an 18th. C. cello that really was a total basket case. Found in a nunnery,of all places.

Carlos Montoya stepped through his flamenco guitar at a party. He left it leaning up against a chair. not that you could tell any difference in his tone or playing anyway!!! Some performers got away with total fraud because so few in the audience understood flamenco. I've seen Barcelona street musicians who could play rings around him.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-28-2013 at 9:29 PM.