Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sublimation

FRP
    Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic

I did a test using FRP for an exterior sign a couple years ago. It lasted about 6 months in the Summer sun before it faded to the point you could not read the text.
    FRP is a pretty good product for interior signs, particularly if you need an inexpensive product for a short term application IMO.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-11-2013 at 1:51 PM. Reason: sp

Printer is here..

I think the fading is more a function of the Sublimation ink as I have done some FRP with Cut Vinyl Letters and it still looks good today. I did seal the edges with plastic edge guard strips to keep the moisture out of the ends. I did some 4 x 4 Ceramic tiles for a wooden sign. It was a test but a epic fail.. The side away from the sun was OK after 6 months. The side facing the sun was faded and due to me going about mounting the tile in the 4 x 4 carve region WRONG... The Tile split in half along the length of the 6 inch wide sign board. It even split the board some.... My mistake was RTV around all 4 sides and bottom or underside of tile. They had different Expansion Rates and I believe that is what caused the split.

I did have good luck with the 4 x 4 tiles on indoor clocks and quilt racks.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 12-11-2013 at 1:27 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".