Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sublimation

Sublimation

Looking at getting into sublimation. I am looking at purchasing the Ricoh 3110 or 7100D. Is the 3110 a large enough printer to start with max printing area 8.5"x14" or should I get the larger 7100D 11" X 17". I am looking for this process to help fill in my business between my laser and vinyl cutter. What types of products sell best with sublimation?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Rich, I don't know your business or what you do, but the smaller format has worked just fine for us. It also makes it somewhat disposable, where as the larger one, not quite as much. I've been doing it for 3-4 years now, I guess, and I haven't seen any jobs come across my desk that the little one couldn't do. We don't do shirts, so that might be different for you, but personally, I like the little one just fine. And for about $400 or something from Conde, you can get the whole system, printer, ink, paper, etc. I do strongly recommend Conde as a source. They are the best in the business when it comes to dye sub knowledge, in my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I am at the end of life on my Epson R1800 as they quit making ink for my printer.. My first thought was to get the 7700 with the bypass tray... Due to this post I searched for info on the 3110 and found the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSnBXDIm3A

Very Impressive... One thing I had never seen posted is that the Ink should be used until the machine detects a suction and tells you to change it NOW.... How many times have I changed EARLY the BAG Bulk Ink to NOT get Air Bubbles in the lines... And that is impressive in my opinion...

Next I took a hard look at the size of paper I use... I could actually get away with a 3110... and piece together bigger stuff.. I do now...

I also learned that MUG Paper is sold... just never picked up on that.... Made for one mug at a time...

Once business picks up I will get one...

Good luck adding Sublimation to your shop... Look close at the Phone Covers as a option...

I don't have the traffic for that kind of work.

And look into Epoxy Doming too as a cheap add to your shop to go along with the Sublimation... I use the UV Cure version and home depot black lights. It can dress up a name tag..

I print on the Clear Mates and put that over Reflective White Vinyl. It is not that Sunlight UV stable and will fade... I have some that I domed in full sun for a few years and they are still useful, not as bright... but work...

I use this in Hitch Covers then Epoxy Dome to fill in the void making a reflective hitch cover... and License Plates too without the dome.. Just to give you some ideas...

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 10-20-2013 at 9:11 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I own the Ricoh 3300 gel printer. I wish I had purchased the larger 13" by 19" printer, but I own a 24" by 30" heat press and I dye-sub Corian mostly. I also own a 14" by 16" press that I am using for small projects.

Steve is right about Conde, they are the best dye-sub vendor right now and have excellent support. Conde also provides large format printing and press services, they did the large prints for the Navy sign I did recently and the prints were even better than any I have ever done at a very reasonable price. For now I will probably keep my small printer and continue to use Conde's print services for large projects.

Al where do you purchase the material for the epoxy doming? Thanks for all your input guys looks like I am going to get the 3110 at the end of the month. Thanks for suggestions and recommendations.

I have had good luck with the 7155. http://www.epoxies.com/products/uv-curable-illumabond/

They make it to order as it has a shelf life. I use the One Part UV Cure verson but they also make the 2 part air cure stuff too that is more resistant to the yellowing of the sun and is used on car logos. The UV version will yellow slightly over time.

Between here and the Engraving Etc pay site I have posted a bunch of tips over the years and lots of pictures.

I use a paint pot with a glass mixer bowl inside and a PVC dip tube and standard LP Air nozzles changed when the epoxy solvent eats the O' ring trigger seals. Make sure you have a fail safe valve to not dump it all on the ground during a failure. I use a Wally Mart Mustard Pump on a Gallon Can but the new cans have a smaller cap hole. They sell black syringes but a dark colored squeeze bottle works good too that you get at a beauty store.

The yellow torch you wave over top of the wet epoxy to pop air bubbles.

Another tip is to buy a Cricut little stainless spatula at Wally Mart used to move vinyl around. They sell the home vinyl cutter. I use it to repair defect dome tags by getting under the edge and removing the cured dome to do again. I save about 90% of the defects from having to print over from the beginning.

I had a big problem last year when I switched to the 7071 a thicker version. Only after it got cold like during Sandy last year did I start getting calls about the FRP Tags Warping... The thicker 7071 caused the tags to warp... I had to replace a year's worth of production for free... The 7155 as a 6 year track record of reliability.

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 10-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I took the plunge this week and purchased a Ricoh SG 7100dn with the bypass tray. Got it installed yesterday and hope to make my first prints today. Conde says that with the bypass tray the 7100 will print 13" by 21" and they sell the paper in that size but it was out of stock so I got a pack of 13 by 19.

Well I ordered my Sublimation printer on black Friday got a good deal! Should be here mid week can't wait to open it up and try it out. I ended up with the Ricoh 3110 to start with. Any suggestions on items to start playing with or making for the holidays?

Thanks,

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Kruyer View Post
    Well I ordered my Sublimation printer on black Friday got a good deal! Should be here mid week can't wait to open it up and try it out. I ended up with the Ricoh 3110 to start with. Any suggestions on items to start playing with or making for the holidays?

Thanks,

Rich

Advice 1... If you ordered a printer not going through the big boys like Johnson Plastics.... what ever you do... DO NOT load the NON Sublimation INK... Most big boys remove the Non Sub Ink just to prevent that major problem.... At least that is what I have found out...

Advice 2.... Be Very AWARE of the Gel Ink Production Date.... Use Caution buying what looks like a GOOD DEAL on eBay.... I believe Gel Inks must go South Quicker.... And some Troubleshooting Results I found pointed to bad ink was the REAL PROBLEM....

GOOD LUCK.... I am down hard.. My R1800 is dead.. no ink... and I need to buy a Richo....

Advice 3... FRP is your Friend.... JP sells XMAS Ornaments Unisub.... UN5509, 5510, 5511, 5576, 5768, 5769.

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 12-02-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Al, thanks for your input. I did purchase through a large vender in the sublimation. I will check out johnson items.

Just ordered the 3110 Printer from Don Shaw at JP so I will be back up soon and already have a order firmed up to pay for it in one job... Lucky...

Kevin mentioned that the same ink is used for the 3110 and 7100. It was feedback that I might end up getting a 7100 later for larger sizes.. Could convert the smaller 3110 to a regular ink desktop paper printer after getting the 7100 if I go that route. Or keep both for Sublimation.

Just a Suggestion on the FRP stuff.. I have good luck cutting the FRP 12 x 24 Sheet Stock on my Sears Compucarve little hobby CNC. I use a Carrier Board and 1/4 inch strips of double stick tape to hold the tags since I cut all the way throught. Sears gave up on the machine made by LHR due to some early problems. But CarveWright / LHR sells them now. They do get a bad rap from time to time but I am a CW Beliver. I have mastered them. It gives you options on cutting your own FRP.

AL

Al

what is FRP?

Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic made by UNISUB.

UN5528 11.5 x 23.25 Gloss 2 Sided Gloss About $18.00 a sheet
    UN5534 same Matte About $18.00

UN5529 11.5 x 23.25 1 Side Matte about $13.00 a sheet
    UN5513 same Matte About $13.00 a sheet.

I mostly use the 2 sided gloss.

You can see the stuff at your local Home Center in a rough state. One side nice and one side where you see the fibers. Used here at the Summer Camps for Kitchen wall covering. They make a version that has little bumps and Smooth. Unisub or Universal Wood takes the Roll Sheet stock and runs it through it Production Facility putting a High Gloss or Matte Coating POLY coating on the stock. The POLY coating on the FRP is what lets you Sublimate it. The Poly pours open up at 400 degrees in the heat press and the Sublimation Ink goes from a Solid on the paper to the Poly Coating without becoming a Liquid hence Sublimation. Remove the FRP from the heat press and the pours slam shut and lock in the image.

I have tried to Sublimate the Home Center Version, it lets you put a very WEAK image on it as it is a Plastic or Poly... The Unisub Coating makes all the difference....

The FRP is about .080 thick. Careful with the sanding and cutting dust due to the fiberglass.

Good Luck....

Al,

What is FRP Stuff?

Thanks,

Rich

Sorry about that... Home Centers like my local Home Depot have the smooth both sided FRP that is used for wall covering. Like I said, one side is smooth and the back is smooth but you can see the lines of the fiberglass fibers.

A check of Home Depot Site... Don't see the smooth only the dimpled.... ?

This is the Dimpled Version... http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/10...ws/reviews.htm

AL