Thread: benchtop jointer

benchtop jointer

I have a small shop. Recently I became thoroughly disgusted with my inability to set the knives on my 6" stand mounted jointer. Turns out that parts for the cutterhead assembly are obsolete, so it got officially retired. I decided to replace it with a benchtop just in the interest of saving floorspace.

I did a bit of research and looking and stumbled across a 6" benchtop jointer made by Palmgren. I called their customer service with some specific technical questions because I was concerned about the quality of the machine. Customer service was friendly and couldn't answer my technical questions referred me immediately (no time spent on hold) to a design engineer who was friendly and answered everything I wanted to know.

I ordered it (about $260.00 delivered) and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived two days later. Entire unit is cast iron. It arrived setup accurately. Dust collection is excellent. Overall bed length is about 28" (it's a benchtop, and I'll build extensions for when I need them). I haven't run enough across it yet to change knives but that looks to be fairly straightforward (blades are setting on jackscrews). I think I got very good value for the money.

where did you buy it from?
    Scott

I Googled the company and found that they have been around for sometime. They are in Chicago and ever thing they make is "Made in USA".
    It looks like you got a great tool there. I might have to look at them next time my budget allows me to buy some more tools.

Larry,

Congrats on the jointer. Before my DJ20 I used about the same size jointer. It was a great little machine and I made quite a few projects on it. Once you get used to them, they really can produce very good results.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Scott, my purchase was actually made through Amazon. However, as I said I called Palmgren before the purchase and could have bought through them. In fact, the next time I will.

Good info Larry. A jointer is somethng I would like to have in my shop but I am limited to additional equipment due to shop size. This would fit the bill. Would be interested in how it handles and performs on 4-6ft lumber. How was the fence set up on it? Square up easily and adjust easily? From the benchtops that I ahve seen, the fences were pretty junky.

Corey

Cory;
    Here's a link to there web site and I see they also make a 15 " Planer. hmmm sure would like to see one in person.

http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/p-wp-jointers.html

Thanks Don. I also checked the reviews out on Amazon and seems the users are mildly or widly suprised in it's performance. This one is in my future! One question, do you guys think this is practical for taking 3/4 inch would and taking it down to 5/8 or 1/2 or is that to much for a jointers blades and should only be done on a planer? Either way, would love to be able to edge joint.
    Corey

Corey, the fence sure seems to be pretty solid. Can be set for angles up to 45 degrees in either direction. Has adjustable stops at 90 and at both 45 degree angles (so you can quickly go back to that setting). I've been told that a jointer will accurately mill a piece of wood up to about twice it's bed length. That's any jointer not just this one. I have jointed a five foot board on it without bed extensions or extra support but longer than that and I'm going to want the extra support out there. This jointer is definitely capable of taking 3/4" stock down to 5/8 or 1/2", but in my case I'd definitely be looking at my bandsaw to make stock thinner. Please remember. I think this is a very good value for the money but it's not a ten inch Oliver.

Guess what Larry, no room for a bandsaw either. I know it isn't an all in one machine, primarily want one for edge jointing however, be nice to be able to take 3/4 stock down to 1/2 inch for small box and clock projects when I need to. I am glad you posted on this. Hadn't heard of this brand before. I had a Craftsman benchtop and the fence was junk and it would not produce joints for glue ups at all.
    Thanks,
    Corey