Thread: Problems with letter code on security

Problems with letter code on security

For some reason my password didn't work today and I had to request a password reset. While I understand the need, or at least the desire, to ensure that it is a person requesting the password reset and not a program, it can be extremely difficult for someone with a visual handicap to determine what the six letters are that are being asked for. I have macular degeneration and have difficulty with colors and letters (even in normal text). What I don't understand is why on the password reset request, it is necessary for using the six letter code. The response to the request is sent to the email address and, while it is possible to spoof an email address, it is highly unlikely that anyone could hijack an email address and intercept the password reset reply.

Most sites have a secondary means of identifying yourself as a real person rather than a program (usually with audio) but Sawmill Creek does not have an alternate.

Glenn,

We do the best we can with vBulletin based on the options that are available. However, it is easy to send a Private Message to an Administrator and request a change to your account. If you cannot login you can send us an email but it has to come from the email address your account is registered with.

Does it offer an audio reading of the code?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night