Thread: voids in walnut

voids in walnut

I have two problems with some air dried walnut, that I could use some help with.
    First there are some voids 2 to 4 inch long, and 1/4 wide and about the same depth. Is there a good solution to filling these?
    Second there is some damage that appears to be from a beatle or worm. There are some pin sized holes and after planning, I see powder tracks, like a termite track, inside the board. These vary from 1 to 4 inches long and about 1/16 inch wide. I cannot find any bug? Can I assume they are gone? If not, how do I get rid of them?

Pete

I use epoxy quite often as a filler for these type of holes and cracks. It mills quite well and looks good. The epoxy can be thinned with DNA for smaller or cracks holes. It can be tinted with different things even instant coffee works well to tint it dark. Regular finishes go over it well too!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-30-2013 at 4:41 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Pictures would help. The bugs sound like Lyctid Beetles (commonly called powder post beetles). The powder is frass (i.e. droppings). It is not likely that they are gone, nor is it likely that you will see them.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you have bugs in your wood, your entire stock of it could be infected. You need to sort through it, and carefully examine each board for signs.
    You do not want to keep infected wood with the good stuff.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The wood doctor says the only way to get rid of powder post beetles is to burn the infected wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    The wood doctor says the only way to get rid of powder post beetles is to burn the infected wood.
    PPB are killed during kiln drying. You don't have to burn the wood, just heat it high enough to kill the beetles and larvae.

Most all beetles like green wood, not dry wood. You typically find them in the softer sap wood.