Thread: Bookcase with Window Seat

Bookcase with Window Seat

Nicely turned out, that.

Hardwood face frame and plywood carcasse?
    The return on the front miter looks tricky.

I particularly like the power outlets in the side cubbies.

Yep, Standard practice for me with the FFs, doors and drawer fronts made from solid and the boxes from plywood. Soft maple painted with SW alkyd oil white and the interiors of the boxes are either maple plywood for the painted or oak plywood for the bookcase interiors. The shelves are 1" thick oak plywood with a solid front edge with a routed profile. The oak tops are solid wood. The clear coated wood is topped with Krystal, a MLC conversion varnish. I bought the drawer fronts only because they were mitered and they wanted something that was similar to their kitchen cabinets.

I assume this is the miter you are referring too? This is before I had made the top

That one is interesting, but it's the short return at the seat (at the base) to both sides that looks tricky.

The paint looks flawless,
    did you paint it, too?
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 10-31-2013 at 4:39 PM.

That's simple. Did that one on site. Just make the seat with 3 routed sides and then cut the long notch on the backside up to the front.

Yes, painted it too. I hate oil base paint. 3 coats, with 2 days of drying in between sanding and recoat. I could have used a pigmented conversion varnish and had the whole thing painted in a long day.