Thread: Pop top coffee table for laptop work or snacking

Pop top coffee table for laptop work or snacking

I was unaware of these until I saw an ad for one from the local Farm and Fleet store. A coffee table with a top that pops up and over, perfect for doing laptop work or having a bite to eat.

The one I saw when I went to the store is an RTA affair made by Sauder Woodworking, all parts banded melamine or some other laminate, and the base has a clunky look. But the top raises nicely on an array of steel members, with stays to keep things from wobbling, and springs to snug the top down when closed. I find poptop hardware like I saw in the store model for sale from between 160 and 200 dollars.

This week's price for the RTA unit, hardware included of course, is 99 dollars. I am really tempted to buy one just to get the hardware. As a bonus, I would get a prototype piece of furniture that can be the basis of design for a fine one done with hardwood, and the parts of the RTA piece can be used for hardware prep hole templating. I am certain they CNC-cut these things.

Pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 10-30-2013 at 10:16 PM.

I would guess at 99.00 the hardware is pretty much worthless. You could purchase better hardware and make your own. The hardware on the table is probably something like Ali import hardware (10.00/pair) and worth about half that.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 10-31-2013 at 3:38 PM.

Judging by the pic, the hardware doesn't look that bad.

BUT, wouldn't you have to sit on the edge of your seat to make that worthwhile? It seems like it would need to telescope quite a bit more to be usable.

Checking it out at the store, in a display area than is set up with a furniture group around it, the position of the popped-and-over top is quite right for laptop work when sitting on a couch or lounge chair adjacent. The hardware holds the top in place nicely, with little to no wobble. The action down is smooth and the spring is tensioned right for snugging the top against the bumper pads that are atop all the four corner legs.

I cannot compare the hardware to other units selling for 1.5 to 2 times what this RTA table kit goes for, but I cannot see how they could be much better.

I have a cousin who bought a table with that mechanism some years back. Works well enough but because the top is made of 3/4 inch veneered particle board the screws have pulled out a couple of times,you might find a used cheap table for sale because it needs that repair. Could be a way to get the hardware,I would at least check.