Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilting table on drill press - necessary?

Tilting table on drill press - necessary?

How many utilize the tilting function of the table on their drill press. I have the opportunity to pick up a 15" General 340 for less than $500 which seems like a decent deal. After speaking with the gentleman selling it, I was informed that the drill press came with the metal working table option - it does not tilt.

To be honest, I have yet to use this option on my current drill press - although it is possible. I have it set perfectly perpendicular to the quill and do not want to mess with it. However, I also do not want to be without it should the need arise.

In the off chance I may need it, I could always slap a jig/table together to get the angle I need. I can think of a couple of ways I could do it. It is just that I am in the market for my last drill press and this one is bullet proof.

I've had my Rikon drill press for 6 years now. It's a radial drill press. The table does not tilt but the head does. I bought this to be able to do 45 degree drilling. It felt so cumbersome I built a table that I can adjust the tilt of. That table has been on a shelf for 6 years now. I have yet to use the press for a 45 degree hole...

I bought a 2nd Rikon drill press, newer model, also radial and it does both head tilt and table tilt. Still have yet to turn that table 45 degrees...
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

In the 10 or so years I have owned a drill press, I have never once tilted the table. If you need to, buy a tilting drill press vice.
    Paul

Yes I have drilled holes at various angles. I have a Shopsmith Mark V. While it has various limitations, when it comes to drilling, that is one of it's strong suites with a vertical drill press, a horizontal boring mill and a tilting table. I understand that is comparing my apples to your oranges, but it works well and is a feature I really like.

Angled chair backs and angled legs on chairs or tables are a couple of projects where one might have a need.

The thing with tilting tables is positioning your work piece becomes more challenging as the angle increases. Then a tilting head becomes more attractive.

Not having a tilting head or tilting table is not a show-stopper. Should the need arise, you can use a tilting vise, build a fixture or an adjustable table that sets on top of the drill press table. Also depending on the drill press, you could modify the table or possibly buy a replacement table with the tilt feature.

I have an old Craftsman that does not have a tilting table, I bought it in 1972 and have needed to tilt the table 3 or 4 times for metal work and I just used a tilting vise.
    Now that I am doing woodworking I have made a table that goes on the main table for stools and chair legs and has done a good job, but I will say I have not had to use it that much.

drill press.jpg

What you really want is one of these.

CPeter
    IMG_7135-001.jpg

Speaking of stools, until you expand that picture, it looks an awful lot like a toilet seat.

I have never tilted my table. As others have said, there are other ways to skin a cat.

To beat a dead horse here: use a ramp.

Drilled holes usually need to be perfectly angled. relying on the table and a protractor or profile gauge is harder (for me) than cutting a perfectly angled ramp on the table saw.

On my dp table, the most important thing is size, ability to clamp, and fence (in that order).

I have tilted my table to get an angle, but it's pretty uncommon....maybe twice in the last decade? I've also used it however to rotate the table to be perpendicular with the quill, which I consider more important than just getting an angle for my work. It can be very handy if you ever find yourself needing to drill into end grain of longer pieces, or other odd jobs where a piece may be too large for the table. I've done this a bit more often, but still fairly infrequent. To be honest it's a tough call, for myself I think I'd prefer to have the flexibility to do more with a tool, and good quality drill presses are not at all rare. On the other hand if you really like this General and think it will do all you need it to......

good luck,
    JeffD

The answer to your question has more to do with what you make than the tilting table feature usefulness. My DP has a tilting table and I use the feature several times a year or more. I make some unusual items in my shop. If I turn the table 90 degrees I have a poor man's horizontal machine etc. It's a useful feature for some but a good DP is useful with or without the tilting table. If you have a good deal take it!

Unless you're willing to spend some serious $$$$, for a machine like the one CPeter James posted, the table tilting function on a typical drill press is pretty crude. Not much repeatability, or stability. It's better to set it perpendicular to the bit travel and have a known reference. Use a machinist tilting vise for the work you need to drill at an angle with, or make a jig if it's fairly large.

How low do the RPM's go on the General? I know my next drill press will need to go <200rpm to spin bigger bits. It'll probably be a milling machine though, and not a drill press.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-31-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Actually, the big Delta Rockwell/ Walker Turner radial drills are getting to pretty common. The going price is around $600 to $800. They go from 175 rpm to 8,200 before you add the VFD. Really handy for doing chair legs and such. I have two other drill presses in my shop, a 17" Delta and and mill/drill, but the radial is my go to machine 90% of the time. Someone on this forum led me to these machines and I am glad they did. There are 4 on E**Y right now. A couple are reasonably priced.

CPeter

CPeter

I have a drill press with a tilting table and I have never had it at any angle other than 90 degrees. If I needed to drill holes at some other angle, I would build a fixture like Bill Huber's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Speaking of stools, until you expand that picture, it looks an awful lot like a toilet seat.
    Hmm, that's an idea. Bubinga toilet seats. String inlayed toilet seats... For those of you who have already filled the house with furniture or are looking for a new product. . .