Thread: Hinge recomendation

Hinge recomendation

I am working on a TV corner cabinet that calls for 4 inset doors to fill a 54" wide opening where components are going. I would like to make them as 4 individual doors but fix them to the cabinet as 2 sets of bi-fold doors and am looking for the right hinge and thought I would see if anyone here had a good recommendation. The doors are likely to end up in the 13/16"(ish) thick range and are ~17" tall and ~13.5" wide with a raised panel so they are not overly heavy. I am looking for a high-quality hinge as I am willing to pay up a bit to get a good hinge that I will be happy with over the long haul.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

How about some good heavy butt hinges from Horton Brasses for the outer doors to the case and knife hinges from the same to join the pairs of doors? Those knife hinges would be invisible when the doors are closed. Or you could just use more of the same butt hinges, instead.

Lee valley has a great hardware section on their website in addition to a catalog.

My advice is to figure out what hinges you are going to use and buy them before you start the project. This way you can make sure the hinges will work and if they don't you can alter the design so they do. Ex, some hinges are made for cabinets with face frames and some not. Sounds like you will have a face frame and the distance between the side of the cab and over lay with the face frame is important since some hinges are designed around the over lay.
    Don

Don, what overlay are you referring to? The OP indicates his doors will inset.

If the inset doors are surrounded by a face frame and you use European hinges the distance between the case and frame is important because the hinges are different sizes.

The post was more of a buyer beware since its easier to design around the hinges instead of trying to find hinges that fit after. I've run into this issue in the past and I've had to change the hinges to fit what was built. If someone can learn from my mistakes the better.
    Don