Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Casters For Concrete Floors?

Quote Originally Posted by David Winer View Post
    Sales are good, good advice is even better. You will find excellent advice for your specific needs at Caster City. I've been very pleased with their advice and casters.
    I second the recommendation on Castor City. Also, you will probably end up with Polyolefin for your spec instead of Polyurethane. It depends on the load and how long the load stays in one place. If the cabinets are heavy, you probably won't be able to size Polyurethane to keep them from flat spotting. How heavy is heavy and will they sit still for weeks or months? The point is that places like Castor City will give you very good prices and the right castor for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Polyurethane, Julie...
    Ditto.

Definitely not steel - under load, damaged concrete. But in a home shop, you wouldn't really see that effect. But - they will bump on joints, and be hard to push over/past any slight obstacle.

At the company I work for, I have had built 100 or so material handling carts in the past 9 months - for wood. Understand that my design allows for loads of 2,000 # or more - more than the guys can push, and not what you would need. But the logic may be of use to you.

I exclusively use 8" dia polyurethane wheels - with excellent, greaseable bearings. Except for some special applications where I go to 10".

They do not deform. They won't get a "flat spot" if you leave them sitting under load for a long time. But - in the factory, we don't have that issue. At 150 lfpm, a cart is full every 12 - 15 minutes - pushed back for the packaging guy to do his job, empty cart rolled into place, keep stacking, because we darn sure aren't stopping the infeed guy from shoving lumber in the front end.

I would suggest 6" dia for a home shop application, if you are talking any serious weight - like 100#. The rolling resistance improves in your favor dramatically as you move up in size.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Urethane for wheels any day. BTW, isn't polyurethane a finish?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Urethane for wheels any day. BTW, isn't polyurethane a finish?
    Bill
    Here ya go, Bill

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...-polyurethane/
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Try Footmaster from Great Lakes Caster (and others.) Since they have a built in leveler, the weight is not on the caster except when you're moving the cabinet or tool. They have models rated to over 2000 pounds IIRC. Work perfectly on smooth concrete. Not cheap, however.

+2 on caster city. in general the larger the wheel the more indifferent it is to an uneven surface - so if you can handle the extra height bigger is usually better. when I wanted my new hand tool work bench mobile (1,200# + with tools) I got 4 900# swivel casters from them - for the rating not that expensive - I remember ~ 40$ each. the bench rolls great but is so long & awkward that it really takes 2 to navigate without hitting something but when not in use I just leave it on the wheels for weeks at a time and the wheels have zero flat spots

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Looks like polyurethane is the way to go. Thanks for all your help! Now it's time to start looking for sales.

Julie - you have a place close by to pick these up plus they are currently 30% off - Woodcraft. I have a rough concrete floor in my garage and have these on my Unisaw that has a RT/cabinet in the extension. Work great.

Mike

+1 for SES Casters (Thanks Matt Meiser!).

They used to have an ebay store with prices that beat Woodcraft sale prices by quite a bit. If you called them directly instead of using their ebay store they used to match the slightly lower prices listed on ebay versus their web prices. I've purchased 25+ of their 4" Total Lock T31 series casters with absolutely no failures or issues for use on machines up to 1000 lbs. I'd suggest 4 or 5" so that they roll over debris without any issues.

Be safe,
    Dick

Orange ones from HD. I have them under a very, used loosely, heavy table. No problems thus far. And cheaper than other places.