Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identifying a product and a supplier

Help Identifying a product and a supplier

Hell all....

I have a customer that is looking for some engraved signs for his business and he gave me a couple photos of ones he wants. I am not sure what they are made from and where to get the materials. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!
    Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 Epilog Fusion32 60 Watt / Corel X6 / Sublimation System / Roland VersaCamm VS540i /

That is aluminum composite material sold by sign supplier. Typically vinyl cu lettering and graphics.
    Dibond, Alupanel and other manufacturers.
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 11-03-2013 at 8:17 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

It looks to me like it is acrylic, reverse engraved. Look at the 2nd photo. The light is shining through the edge of the clear acrylic.

It's 2 pieces of acrylic. One black for the back piece and 1 clear, painted gray and reverse engraved, filled with white paint on the letters. Stuck together with adhesive tape.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I don't see black, but either way, two pieces seems like a tough way to go.

If I was recreating it, I'd use a single piece of acrylic reverse painted in gray. Laser off the lettering and reverse paint white.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    I have seen this before, and I believe there is some in my building. But I won't be down there again until early Monday, Pacific Time if that is OK. I have company this weekend so it would be awkward to go running to the office. Wayne..if this is urgent I can try but no guarantees.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

It's a piece of reverse-laserable acrylic, looks exactly like the IPI stuff I just bought. It's a matte clear with a microthin color layer on the back. After you laser etch or engrave it you paint the etching. Comes in several colors. Rowmark, New Hermes and whoever else probably has similar stuff.

As for what's BEHIND that sign, no clue, possibly an old sign, with the gray sign taped to it.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks to all who replied so far...

It is not a vinyl lettering. I just saw it in person and it looks reverse engraved to me. It also does look like 2 pieces together with the back piece being black. David... I can wait till you go back to the office on Monday if you remember that would be great.

Kev....you mention it looks like the IPI stuff you just bought. What did you buy? Is there a name for the product?

To me it looks like it was just engraved and Im not sure if it was painted at all. Is there anything that comes a solid color like that and you just can engrave the lettering without painting?

Thanks for all the help!
    Wayne
    2016 Epilog Fusion32 60 Watt / Corel X6 / Sublimation System / Roland VersaCamm VS540i /

I think it's a single piece of 1/8" acrylic reverse engraved and color filled. It could have been clear then painted with gray engraved and painted white. It's not hard to do.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Grecco View Post
    It also does look like 2 pieces together with the back piece being black.
    Where the heck are you guys seeing black? I see a reflection through the acrylic of something black (shadow?), but I don't see anything black along the top corner... it should be a consistent black stripe, even in the corner, if it's there.

I wonder if they're being confused by the sloppy wall painting which partially covered the edges of the sign.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I wonder if they're being confused by the sloppy wall painting which partially covered the edges of the sign.
    Ah, now I see it... what I thought was corner glare through a clear piece now looks like a drip of white paint that drooled down the edge. Now it looks like a layer of black with a clear layer on top.

It's like one of those optical illusions where you have to answer "is the pole dancer spinning clockwise or counterclockwise?"

One of the reasons that most use two layers of acrylic is because these types of signs are normally attached to the wall with a couple pieces of double sided tape and some adhesive. The tape holds the sign to the wall long enough for the adhesive to cure, after that it serves no purpose. Using two layers of acrylic means that your tape and adhesive are not joining a painted background to the wall which is also a painted surface.

This is a low quality mounting technique but it is used more frequently than any other system because its fast and cheap. I have replaced tens of thousands of these types of signs. In all fairness this install technique is fine in some areas and horrible in others, it depends on the building function.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Grecco View Post
    Kev....you mention it looks like the IPI stuff you just bought. What did you buy? Is there a name for the product?
    Below is page 13 of the current Marco Awards catalog, left column, laserable reverse engravables- the color I have, and what is pretty close to the material in your pictures is the "gray flannel"--

This is a 1x9 piece-- not engraved, sorry, all I have is spoken for and I'm waiting on an order!
    This the front--

and I bent it around so you can see the back--

It lasers nicely from the back, and I just spray paint the engraving. Looks screen printed UNDER the surface.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Guys,

Thanks again for all the input.

Kev... THANK YOU!!! I will look into using that material.

Wayne