Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Identifying a product and a supplier

Blog Entries
    Wayne,

When I got to the office this morning I found the signs were not what I thought at all. I thought I was loosing my gourd until I spoke with one of the maintenance people. The signs used to be identical to what you pictured, same color and form. They were changed a bit ago to a new type that had braille dots on them. No resemblance to what you show. They are going to try and find one of the old signs for me and if possible, where they were made. I don't hold much hope for that though. Will follow up if they do find the details.

Sorry. It was an attractive sign. Clean looking and easy to read. No glare. I understand their need to put up signs with braille however. A federal building after all, needing to keep up with ADA requirements.

By the way....is your customer subject to ADA? Might be worth asking before they sink money into a non ADA compliant sign. Our current signs look at least partially lasered. A plastic background with applied cut raised lettering, with the raised Braille dots lasered into a recessed rectangle on the background plastic. To be honest, they look cheap to me, but that is strictly aesthestics on my part. They do what is needed.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

All buildings that allow public access are required to be fully ADA compliant. The grace period is over and in fact revision 2 of the spec is being enforced. Oh yeah, the fines are also pretty steep if your facility does not comply with the law and these days most States also have ADA regulations that you have to meet in addition to the Federal law.

The American Disabilities Act is Civil Rights Legislation so its taken pretty seriously by building owners and just about any state or local inspector can issue a citation right on the spot if they find items of non-compliance. Our State Fire Marshall is tough on owners who are not complying with the law, oh and the State needs money these days so the fines are becoming a source of revenue. If your missing a sign they will generally write you up on a non-compliance audit and give you a period of time to correct the problem. When they come back for a follow-up inspection its best to be 100%

One more thing, if you have an old building (with ADA signs) and you do a substantial amount of construction or repair you have to upgrade every sign in your building to the newest ADA specification. Of course it also includes restroom access spacial requirements and hand rails, ramps, etc.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-04-2013 at 1:18 PM.

David,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me. I really appreciate the help!!

Keith,

As far as ADA compliance, I asked them about it and they just want the basic signs. I gave them the option...

Also, you mention the installation issue... How would YOU install something like this? I have never made this type of sign before obviously so could use the pointers.

Thanks!
    Wayne
    2016 Epilog Fusion32 60 Watt / Corel X6 / Sublimation System / Roland VersaCamm VS540i /