Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tool Review: Wood River #3, Version 3 Hand Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I don't think we will hear from Gary on this, won't we?

Simon

No, I think it's clear that he didn't want to respond to a request to clarify his generalization Simon. I dislike comments like that with no follow up (after months), but to each his own huh?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Fred,

Nice review. Only question I have is concerning the blade. Do you have any idea of what material was used to make the blade (A2, O1 or ????). I don't pay much attention to tool catalogs or ads anymore, and I seem to think that the WR planes were to have blades by Rob Cosman, but I may be wrong.

T.Z.
    Hi Tony,
    No, I was never able to determine that. I too was expecting a Pinnacle or a Cosman iron when I bought it, but it's generic and their catalog doesnt specify. (Pinnacle irons ARE specified as A2.) I agree with Ken's statement that it takes a nice edge. But I'd guess it's nothing fancy like A2, or they'd use it in their sales material.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The new vs. old decision is a chicken/egg dilemma. No question good used can be cheaper than good new, if and it is a huge "if", you are lucky and/or know what you are looking for and can fett your tools. Maybe it is because of personal experience but I know for sure when I first started collecting tools I didn't have a clue what any of the tools were suppose to do, how they should work, nor how to sharpen a iron or saw. I was lost with out a map.

Today it is easier because of the amount of information on the internet but still without a reference point, nothing to tell you "yes this good and working correctly" or "what a piece of junk". Bootstrapping is still difficult. With new good quality tools a person will have at least one foot anchored, have a reference to work towards. That is the reason I will almost always suggest starting with new good quality planes, saws, and chisels. Once you know "good" and need to build your kit and either saving money or you just like to play with rust is important....then go for the rust. It can be great fun and a hobby in and of itself.

As always with anything wood....YMMV.

ken

Woodcraft might do well to offer a Cosman blade as an option for their WR planes. I'm very well covered in LN, Veritas & vintage Baileys & Bedrocks (and a Clifton!), but I'm still tempted to "try" a WR! I'm curious if Woodcraft might be thinking ahead into the next level of refinement.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Thanks Fred for the review. I also have two Wood River planes. I have a #4 and #6. Both planes are producing .001 shavings. No matter the material I am planing I know the #4 will give a good indication of how it is going to plane. I like both and recently I bought a WR shoulder plane. I am happy with that purchase also. I can not see enough difference in shavings to justify the cost of a LN plane. Hold on I am not slamming LN planes I just can't see a difference in the shavings.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    This is good to know, as I ahve been thinking about a wood river #6. I want a #6, but don't want to drop the coin on an expensive one when my 5 and 7 will see more use.
    I have a WR 6 and I am very happy with it. It is just so smooth and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    No, I think it's clear that he didn't want to respond to a request to clarify his generalization Simon. I dislike comments like that with no follow up (after months), but to each his own huh?
    That just means one thing: he can't support what he said and can be ignored completely.

I recall seeing this happen recently to Derek Cohen. Someone hinted that Derek's tool reviews related to some Veritas planes were a concern to him. But when he was called out to fill in more details, he stayed silent. Again, his comment could be ignored.

Simon

Wr #4

The WR 4 V3 was my first plane, and is the one I usually end up using the most. I did spend a bit of time flattening it, but nothing more than I expected. I love using and restoring old tools, and use a MF 22' jointer, and an old transitional Stanley 27. The WR is surprisingly well made, and has a nice cap, frog, etc. I even think the stock iron has good staying power. Considering the price, I think they are an excellent value for a hobbyist, like me. I just purchased the WR low angle block plane, and do regret that decision. I should have gone LV on that plane.

All WoodRiver planes are heavy for size. My bench planes are Stanley/Baileys and Bedrocks except for my WR V3 4-1/2. It's a full 1-1/4# heavier than my Stanley 4-1/2. The "high-carbon" iron sharpens, planes and retains its edge well, but it's NOT A2. I like it, but time will tell.

Blog Entries
    I've had a Woodriver #4 v3 since the end of 2011. At the time I got mine Woodcraft did say it had an A2 blade, which is also how it was described in the June 2011 test of 14 smoothing planes by Fine Woodworking (issue 219). I have an obscene number of planes (wooden planes add up fast, especially when hollows and rounds come in sets of 18). While the majority are old, I have several from Woodriver, Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen. All three make fine planes, which is reflected by the Fine Woodworking test which had the LN tied for Best Overall while the Woodriver tied with two LVs for best value.
    Over the past three and a half years the Woodriver has seen by far the most use, not least because it's the cheapest. My daughter and I have renovated three houses during this time, which has included a lot of woodwork. The WR gets tossed in the toolbag, largely because I can't bring myself to treat the LN that way. I've used it in a wide variety of ways on a selection of North American woods, and the Woodriver has performed flawlessly. The blade quickly takes an edge on a waterstone and holds it very well. Recently I've been using it without problems on suger (hard) maple with fairly wild grain which the WR has handled without difficulty. All in all, I heartily recommend them if you want a good quality plane at a bargain price that will work well out of the box and superbly after a few minutes with a waterstone.

i agree completely with Fine Woodworking rating the LN best overall. The thicker chip breaker does make a difference, albeit a slight one. While the LN also is nicer in fit and finish, the biggest operational difference between the WR and the LN is in adjustment. The WR (at least mine) has excessive backlash in the blade advance. It doesn't keep me from being able to easily adjust to take a walnut shaving thin enough you can read the newspaper through it, but it is annoying if you overshoot your adjustment and need to back off.

if they fit your budget, by all means buy the LN. It will never disappoint you and, if you care for it well, it will hold its value better than any other new tool. But if you want 90 or 95% of the function for not much more than half the price, the WR is an excellent choice.

Because my first WR was so good I subsequently purchased a 5 and a 6 as well as a pair of their block planes. I have found them to be as good as the 4. However, I have always waited for a sale to get the best deal. Woodcraft periodically has sales of 20, and sometimes 30% off. LN never has a sale as far as I know. I have even more LN planes than WR by far. They have a much wider variety, although WR keeps added new ones. My LN planes are a joy to use, but certainly are not cheap. I purchased more than half of them on eBay, which can save you 15% or so if you are patient.

Either way I think you'll be happy.
    Last edited by Mike Cogswell; 05-05-2015 at 11:28 PM.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Blog Entries
    LN never has a sale as far as I know. I have even more LN planes than WR by far. They have a much wider variety, although WR keeps added new ones. My LN planes are a joy to use, but certainly not cheap. I purchased more than half of them on eBay, which can save you 15% or so if you are patient.
    The problem with sales is much the public then considers the sale price to be the actual price.

LV has a sale with free shipping. Many actually wait for this regular event to purchase some big ticket items. Some of us wanting a few small items might add some extra items to make it to the minimum. My recollection is they also have a cyber Monday sale of seconds or something.

LN has tool events, if you order at the event there is free shipping and possibly an extra item like a tee shirt thrown in.

One can always take a "buy second hand" approach in hopes of saving a few dollars.

Much satisfaction can be gained using a tool that has been owned since it came out of the box. There is also much satisfaction to be had by giving TLC to an old tool that was set aside long ago to anoint itself with an oxide patina.

Most of my tools purchased new still get used and most of them are enjoyed. They just do not give me the same sense of pride as some of my tools that took an hour or more to bring back from their years of neglect.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    All WoodRiver planes are heavy for size. My bench planes are Stanley/Baileys and Bedrocks except for my WR V3 4-1/2. It's a full 1-1/4# heavier than my Stanley 4-1/2.
    I had planned to buy a WR 4 1/2. So I tried one on a business trip. It's a nice tool that makes thin shavings. But it just felt too heavy for my taste, so I bought the LV BUS instead. The WR weighs in at just over 6#, while the BUS is 4# 14 oz.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-05-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I had planned to buy a WR 4 1/2. So I tried one on a business trip. It's a nice tool that makes thin shavings. But it just felt too heavy for my taste, so I bought the LV BUS instead. The WR weighs in at just over 6#, while the BUS is 4# 14 oz.
    I'm with you on this! I have a Bailey 4-1/2 and I've never got used to it because of the weight. My favorite smoother is a Clifton #3-just perfect. I've play around with some woodies and one of these days I may pick up an ECE-feels like pushing air.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.