Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection for plunge routing and hand held sanding

Dust collection for plunge routing and hand held sanding

Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of setting up a small shop for hobby work (furniture and cabinets). Dust collection is a very high priority for me, much more important than tool cost. I'm currently installing a Clear Vue cyclone, which more than satisfies my dust paranoia for the stationary machines in the shop. But I'm still wondering what to do about dusty hand-held power tools, specifically plunge routers and hand held sanders.

Festool obviously has an excellent solution for plunge routing and sanding, but I don't have a need for the rest of the 'system' that goes with their tools. (Although I can understand how it all could be incredibly useful for a home remodeling contractor.) Still, I will go ahead and pay for a Festool router, sander, and dust extractor if there isn't anything else that can compete with their dust collection.

So the question is: Does anybody here have experience with a plunge router or a sander that provides dust collection that compares favorably to Festool's?

My apologies for asking what must be a very common question; but I couldn't find a very recent thread on this, and I know the technology is always improving.

Thanks,
    -Janis

I have a couple of Festool sanders and the dust collection is quite a bit better than any sander I've had or used before. I use a Fein Turbo vac, it connects right up to the Festool stuff with an inexpensive adapter or use the Festool non anti-static hose that plugs right to the port of the Fein.

The DeWalt 621 plunge router has very good dust collection.

The Dewalt DW621 plunge router has dust collection that is as good as the Festool OF1400 plunge router. (However, in hard service, the Festool has a longer life.)

Most random orbital sanders now offer dust collection that sucks through the sanding disk. Connect the sander to a good vacuum, and you have a good job of dust collection. You don't have to spend big bucks on the sander to get it. Again, with Festool you're likely to get other benefits like reliability and less vibration.

Most any vacuum will suck dust from routers or sanders. I want a really good filter in the vacuum so that it isn't just pumping that fine dust into the shop and your lungs. Another good feature is tool triggering, so the vacuum comes on any time you turn on the sander. That way you're not tempted to sand without the dust collection running. Festool and Fein make vacuums that have both of these features.

Thanks Bill, that's good to know... it hadn't occurred to me that another vacuum, like the Fein, could work just as well with the Festool sander. That's already a potential savings right there. :-)

-Janis

Another vote for the DeWalt 621 router.

One more thought about vacuums. If you're planning on mostly using the vacuum to suck dust and small chips from sanders and routers, a smaller hose is a good idea. It is more flexible than the larger hoses that usually come with shop vacs. That is, you get to steer the sander, rather than the hose steering it. Shop vacs have larger hoses so they don't clog if you feed them construction debris. The Festools and the Feins come with those smaller hoses. The generic shop vac from the Borgs is intended more for housebuilders, and comes with a larger, more rigid, hose.

Another vote for Dewalt 621. I have many Festools, including sanders, vacuum, saw, domino, etc, but never felt the routers are incrementally so much better than the competition. Years ago I had purchased the OF1000 (earlier version of the current OF1010) and ended up selling it as I felt it was too limiting with only 1/4 collet as I did not want to invest into 8mm bits. The Dewalt is very close to perfection in my book. In fact, I really like the through the column dust collection, which is easier for me to handle rather than dragging a hose around the base. I really like the design of the large Festool router with dust collection, etc, but it is too big and expensive for what I need.

I have a Dewalt ROS that I just hook up to my shop-vac. No dust issues.

I got serious about dust control a couple of years ago.
    I gave away or sold all my cheap sanders and am sanding with Festool and Bosch sanders now. Sanding is much less a chore with equipment that does not vibrate horribly or spray fines all over the shop.
    They are also quieter and the paper lasts much longer.
    Seriously consider a festool mini with a Super Dust Deputy.
    works great, bags don't clog and is easy to empty.
    I absolutely love it.
    I've set it up semi permanently with the hose suspended from a piece of unistrut bolted to the ceiling in my basement shop. Since it is always available, I use it every time, and have much less dust in the shop to deal with.
    Also don't underestimate the benefit of a shop air cleaner that recirculates shop air through a filter. It keeps the fines that escape the sander from settling all over the place (including my lungs).

Dave

10. My Bosch 1617EXSPK with the optional dust collection does a good job when plunge routing.

The only Festool product I have is the track saw, so I can't provide any experience with their sanders or vacs. However, I do have the Porter Cable tool-actuated vacuum, which I have used with a variety of sanding machines, even a bench top band saw. So you are not limited to the Festool vacuums for adequate dust collection from hand-held power tools. Most sanders have dust collection of some sort, so just find one that you like with this feature, and hook up the vacuum. You may have to utilize some custom hook-ups, but it is not difficult. The big box stores have adapters that can be cut down to use with a variety of fittings, and a hose clamp can make it hold. Good luck and watch those fingers.

I had a Festool Midi which was a great size for my shop as I use a cyclone for machinery dust collection.

The vacuum was only used for sanding and shop vacuuming.

I now have a Festool CT26, which is larger than the Midi, which is a negative for me.

The smaller hose is more flexible and therefore much better for hand held tools.

The bags in the Festool are great, and the vacuum fills them up, so you don't waste bags. They make a very nice unit...........Rod.

WoodCraft sells the small vac hose for about 18 bucks.

If you have an existing router that still has useful life you might consider buying a new plunge base that has dust collection capability. I found that 2 of my old Bosch 2.25 hp routers fit perfectly in a DeWalt plunge base that has the DC hose connector.

For a router/sander vac don't discount the possibility of buying one of the whole house vac's that you can mount on the wall or under a table. I have an old Craftsman whole house vac that works well as it has a big filter that you can find replacements for that are more efficient.

If money is tight install a reducer in your dust collection pipe that you can connect your sander/router hose to, even though the suction is less it is more than adequate in my opinion.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-04-2013 at 1:53 PM.

Consider working on a downdraft table. You can make a unit that can be hooked up to your central unit and have all the air around you being circulated back into the Clear Vue, or buy a free standing bench/downdraft table. A good downdraft table can also be used as an air cleaner. Have it running while you are in the shop and it will always be circulating shop air through the filters.

I completely agree with Richard. Make your own downdraft table, put some hinged side panels and a back panel on it and pipe it to you dust collection system. I find it a bit irritating to have hoses connected directly to my sanders (Festo, Bosch, Metabo). I also agree with the choice of the De Walt 621. A great unit with excellent extraction porting.